atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sbrown New, New, New, Help, Help, Help - 11/01/04 11:19 AM
I am a data guy and have never even touched any type of phone system before. I am currently setting up the network for one of my customers and he aquired a NEC DX7NA-48 Key System that he would like to use in his office. He has ordered 3 voice lines from SBC and 2 dedicated fax lines.

First question: Is this something I should leave to experienced installers only, or would this setup be fairly straight forward?

Second question: How can I aquire an installation manual for this system? I guess the person he got the NEC from "lost" the manual somewhere down the line.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Remember, I am/have been strictly a data communications tech and NOT a voice communications tech, but I do learn very quickly.
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: New, New, New, Help, Help, Help - 11/01/04 12:22 PM
No offense, but I think someone experienced would be your best bet.

First off, since it is a previously owned system you need to default it. Secondly, if they want ANYTHING customized i.e. phones ringing, day/night modes, you'll have to program it and NEC is not the easiest system to program. to save some $ you can always install it on the wall and punch down the cables but as for the programming, spend the 100 - 200 and have it done worryfree.
Posted By: sbrown Re: New, New, New, Help, Help, Help - 11/01/04 12:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. If it is difficult to program, I will definately get someone else to program it.

What about mounting/punching down, etc? Is that pretty straight forward? Is there a standard. I am very good with Networking standards, punching down at patch panels, etc, but have never done this on a phone system.
Posted By: clgjr Re: New, New, New, Help, Help, Help - 11/06/04 10:54 PM
sounds like you have a ds2000 4 slot ksu. But even though this is about the easiest system to install. With no experience seems like it would be easier and less time for you to hire a tech.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help