atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dajohnso Elite VMS - 05/09/07 11:35 PM
I'm sure this is a common theme, but here it goes again. I have t\aken over the programming of an NEC Elite 192 with VMS. I've been programming the phones fine for over a year and now I need to modify the VMS. I finally tracked down and purchased a copy of cosessons 7.0 and finally got connected but now I cant get past the login screen. I have full access via phone to the management mail box but how can I:

1) Reset the password on the system account in VMS (ie: Amy Ronk account)?
2) How can I access this account via the phone instead of with my PC? (to verify its not a cosession issue)

+ I can connect and program the elite with my PC (7000 version)
+ I can program the elite via phone (console)
+ I can access the management mailbox (with system options) but there doesnt appear to be anything I can do there to correct the VMS console?
+ I can connect to the VMS with cosessions but cant get past the login?
Posted By: vad60 Re: Elite VMS - 05/10/07 06:15 PM
You have to ask customer about VM password. If they dont know let them call the old vendor and ask for password otherwise you have to ask somebody from forum to send you a PM or call NEC and pay for password reset. There is the way to go back to DOS and Initiolize VM but if you never have done it dont go there.
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/11/07 01:23 AM
OK, thanks. Customer definately doesnt know pw and old vendor isnt co-opperating much. How much is a password rewset typically cost? Is there no way to clear it from the management mailbox via the phone? How can I try to connect to it via the phone?
Posted By: vad60 Re: Elite VMS - 05/11/07 05:03 AM
There is no way to reset PW period. Doesn't meter it is from CoSeccion or telephone. VM manual describes how to get to Administration login of the VM from touch tone telephone.
Posted By: smoom Re: Elite VMS - 05/11/07 04:09 PM
In your first post you said, "I have full access via phone to the management mail box" if this is the case you should be able to log in to voicemail using this account in cosessions. In cosessions you would log-in using the personal ID of the box you are using via the phone and the password would be the same password you used on the phone.
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/12/07 01:44 AM
I thought so too? When I enter the management mailbox (operator on 110) it doesnt ask for a security code and I cant get any other menu? If I do it by calling VM I can enter the password and make changes to the main message (Auto Attendant 0) but I can not add new AA 1 or 2.
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/12/07 01:50 AM
Can some one PM or email me the details of getting into the Amy Ronk mailbox from a phone. I am trying to see if the password was changed since its not working from co-sessions?
Posted By: IPKII Re: Elite VMS - 05/12/07 07:08 AM
It sounds like mailbox 110 just has system manager access & you are using that mailboxes login info. To access the system manager "amy ronk" mailbox with cosessions, you will need "her" login.

The only way to get that info is to get a NEC vendor to download the avent.avd file & send it to NEC along with company letterhead authorizing them to do so. There will be a charge from NEC for this...
Posted By: doghart Re: Elite VMS - 05/12/07 02:45 PM
If mailbox 110 has administrator options through the phone, then just do this:

Use 9110 as the user ID

Then put in the password for mailbox 110 when it asks for a security code.

Then go to amy ronk mailbox and delete the security code.

Then you can log in as amy ronk or coninue to use 9110, there's no difference.
D
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/15/07 02:05 AM
Thanks, I'l let you know how it goes.
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/16/07 01:12 AM
OK, HERES THE DEAL
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/16/07 01:14 AM
OK, I entered 9110 (110 is the station with management access) and it asks for security code. I typed what I know the code to be that works on the phone and I still cant hit ctrl-d or ctrl-g or anything else? Only F1-F5 work. Also, confirm that when typing the security code I dont get any response (like ***, there is no movement at all)

Looks like I need to get NEC involved....

Still open to suggestons!
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: Elite VMS - 05/21/07 01:31 AM
Okay, from the TUI...

When you log in from a phone, using touch-tones...

Log into mailbox 110. You may have a menu on softkeys, a spoken menu, or yes/no prompts.

SOFTKEYS:
Press MORE, MGR, CHBX.
It will say "Please enter the extension number."
press 9696.
It will say, "Extension 9696 -- would you like to delete the security code?"
Press 1 for yes.
If it says that that extension does not have a mailbox, and asks if you want to add one, press 2 and hang up. You will not be able to use this method.

MENU:
Press 0 for System Manager Options.
Press 4 for "Change a Mailbox.
Press 9696. Follow instructions above.

YES/NO:
Press 2 for no until "System Manager Options?"
Press 1.
Press 2 until "Change a mailbox?"
Press 1.
When prompted, press 9696. Continue as above.

If it never offers you system manager options, or if any part of these instructions do not match what you experience, then stop, hang up, and call NEC at 1-800-852-4632. They should refer you to a qualified NEC tech who can help you.

I used to know a good NEC guy on E 35th St ... company was CTXI, CVTI, something like that... the tech's name was Alex. Happy hunting.
Posted By: dajohnso Re: Elite VMS - 05/22/07 01:46 AM
THANKS! I will try that. I tried something similar to method #3. I didnt type 9696 I type 632, it idicated the mailbox was there but wouldnt let me delete it. Where did 696 come from (I thought 632 was the admin box ie: NEC on the touchpad.)
Posted By: mitchloft Re: Elite VMS - 05/24/07 10:25 AM
Hello. I, too, am having a problem with the NEC Elitemail. I am trying to reset a voicemail box back to "start over" status - I am able to log in to management functions at my desk phone, I am able to DELETE and SET UP NEW mailbox for the extension that needs to be changed (previous person died - can't get any passwords from him) but even though the system announces that the "mailbox is reset" to new, or has been deleted and set up again (I've tried it both ways...) when someone dials into the voicemail system FROM the extension that is supposedly "reset" - it asks for a personal security code. The management system reports that "no security code is set for this extension." It is SUPPOSED to step through setting up a new mailbox - I thought - but it won't do it. We terminated the vendor of this FINE piece of cr.. I mean hardware, with extreme prejudice so we aren't going to get any help from them. I tried to get some advice from NEC as this MUST be a simple thing I just don't have a manual for, but they REFUSE to help their customers. I'm hoping that someone here might know this. Thanks.
Posted By: smoom Re: Elite VMS - 05/24/07 02:11 PM
As far as calling NEC and getting help they are not going to help an end user that is what the dealers are for, if your dealer was not helping you find a new one or send a complaint to NEC about them. Does your voicemail have a default Security code for all new users, most NEC voicemail systems installed in the last few years have a default Security code. If your system requires a default Security code, you will not be able to get to the setup menu until you enter the default Security code.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: Elite VMS - 05/24/07 09:03 PM
Mitch,

I would suggest going to the NEC website at www.neccare.com and clicking the "find a reseller" link. This should give you a list of NEC dealers in your area, and you can select one (whom you haven't ejected from the site) from that list. You might also look for an NEC dealer on this board, from your area.

There may also be some literature tucked away somewhere from the original install. Usually this winds up in some receptionist's desk drawer, filed under either "T" for telephone, "P" for phones, or under the name of the telephone vendor. If you can get into the receptionist's drawers, you might find the original instructions, including the default passcodes.

You may also have the option to delete a passcode without creating a new one (though a new one should be created ASAP for security reasons).

NEC tech support will not, usually, help a non-certified caller (except with time and date), but they may point you to a VAR in your area.
Posted By: scotttoolguy Re: Elite VMS - 05/24/07 09:12 PM
These voicemail systems used a default password in some later revisions. If you PM me, I may be able to point you in a direction that could help you. You can delete passwords all day long, and even keep resetting, but it won't help if it is one of those type of revisions.

Scott.
Posted By: doghart Re: Elite VMS - 05/24/07 09:16 PM
You can't post the default password in this thread? ( I was about to)

Just curious as why? It gets changed as soon as a user sets up their mailbox. I know there were issues of hacked VM boxes to dial international numbers etc... is this why?

D
Posted By: Keighlar Re: Elite VMS - 05/25/07 06:56 AM
Doghart,

That is certainly one of the best reasons why. Although users are ALWAYS encouraged to set or change passwords, we all know this doesn't happen in many cases.

Also, since this forum is open to anyone doing a google search, it is to protect those without the knowledge on how to navigate the programming of a phone system access to potentially destructive areas of their code. Trust me that no one would be thanked for their assistance in that case.

I hope that makes things clearer. Our intent is never to thwart a user from having their system operate as they wish, but to make sure they get there safely.

Stacey
Posted By: mitchloft Re: Elite VMS - 05/29/07 08:54 AM
Having received assistance from a couple of helpful people, my problem is now solved - thanks.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help