atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: OhioTelecom Terminal Server - 04/25/05 02:41 PM
Is it possible to connect to a win98 or win 2000 via XP? If so, please feel free to explain how :}
Also if PC anywhere was on the machine would it need to be shut off, or can they run simultaneously?

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited April 25, 2005).]
Posted By: junkman Re: Terminal Server - 04/25/05 02:59 PM
It depends on what you're trying to do. Netmeeting is included in 98, 2000, and XP, does a fair job of remote desktop. If you're using PC Anywhere on some, just load it on the others and you're in business.
Posted By: wanebo Re: Terminal Server - 05/01/05 02:33 PM
Citrix metaframe can do it. Probably would just be easier and cheaper to use PCAnywhere if your requirements aren't data intensive or long term.

I've actually termed in via Citrix, fired up PCAnywhere on that machine and sessioned into other computers and PBX's that way too!

Ahhh. What a wonderfull, complicated world we live in.
Posted By: bradleyland Re: Terminal Server - 05/01/05 07:14 PM
There is a program called VNC that is free and will do exactly what you want. It was originally developed by AT&T.

https://www.realvnc.com/

The software runs as a daemon on the machine that you want to control. The daemon must be running in the background in order to connect. You can configure it to run on startup. On the machine that you will work at, you run the "VNC Viewer" application and type in the machine name or IP address of the machine you wish to control.

This solution works great for networks behind a firewall. You don not want the VNC service to be facing an internet connection though. It is not considered secure. Also, VNC will not work through a firewall unless you specifically forward the port from the firewall to the machine to be controlled. Again, this is not recommended.

If you need to control the machine from a remote location, you can use the free service from logmein.com. It works through firewalls and you can add as many computers as you'd like to the account. I use this for a lot of my clients.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I've used these systems a lot.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help