atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Z-man Remote desktop software?? - 05/20/10 12:25 AM
I have been using a trial version of LogMeIn Pro to access a couple of remote machines. While I can get a free version of this software, the free version is stripped down quite a bit. So I am going to bite the bullet and pay for a 5 user license to start. Before I do, I thought I would check and see if anyone had any other suggestions as to which software to use.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/20/10 08:27 AM
I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things about it.

The best remote desktop software I ever used, bar none was Hilgraeve's (the folks that made Hyperterminal) KopyKat.

Unfortunately I think it was only for OS/2, so that probably won't be that helpful.

Sam
Posted By: metelcom Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/20/10 02:50 PM
I have had good luck with VNC and like LogMeIn there are free versions.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/20/10 02:59 PM
I use UltraVNC. Works and is reasonably priced. FREE.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/20/10 10:41 PM
in order to use VNC, I need to have it installed on both computers right? This probably won't work as I need more of a web based access. I will probably just buy a 5 seat license for LogMeIn for $250 per year. I can bill my customers for it anyway.
Posted By: junkbox Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/21/10 10:57 AM
I use Citrix GoToAssist, but I'm supporting 60+ users. LogMeIn is fine for what it is. Bomgar is also kinda cool if you have to support Blackberrys or Windows Mobile as well. I would only use VNC within a network, because it is open source, there have been instances in the past with various flavors of VNC being vulnerable to outside attack (cause you gotta poke holes in th erouter as well, same with RDP). If i need to get into a network segment, I'll RDP into the terminal server then VNC my way around the LAN. I've just had bad experiences with an out facing VNC box. GoToAssist ain't as cheap as $250 a year, but you get some decent reporting out of it to bill back customers, and you can reboot in safemode, and stay connected, you can have multiple sessions, set up unattended support, get diagnostic info etc.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/21/10 11:52 AM
I use Hamachi with Remote Desktop. It's free and works well.
Posted By: tim10 Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/22/10 04:55 AM
I like TightVNC, also free.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/22/10 09:16 AM
I also use Hamachi with Remote Desktop. Works well. You can have several (15 I think) connections before you have to pay.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/23/10 09:02 AM
What features do you need in LMI Pro that Free doesn't have?

FWIW, I use LMI Free and haven't needed any of the features in the Pro version. I did purchase LMI Ignition, so I don't have to use a web browser to use LMI. Very handy. I installed it on my office computer and my laptop so I can support multiple customers where I have internet.

I also use Teamviewer if I don't want to install a permanent LMI Free on a customer's computer. I can usually walk most of my customers through going to Teamviewer.com, click on Customer Module, give me the ID and Passcode. Then when I am done with the support session, I close Teamviewer, they close it on their end, and boom no software to uninstall. I'm pretty sure GoToAssist is the same thing.

I've been tempted to setup something like this no-install feature, using UltraVNC singleclick. But the instructions are sort of complicated and I haven't gotten around to making the .exe file.
Posted By: Jim Cooper Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/24/10 09:03 AM
UltraVNC Singleclick is a nice program to have, the only down side is the client program has the IP's to connect back to hardcoded into it. I have one that I can email to a customer or one of my tech's in the field and it pushes back to my office PC, works nicely, it is quick, and the price can't be beat.

I had a trial version of LogMeIn Pro and never used any of the extra features, I didn't notice when I was cut back down to the free version, except for the banner changing. I have been using the free one for about six months now, it even supports multiple monitors on the remote end.
Posted By: junkbox Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/25/10 09:32 AM
I'm not familiar with TeamViewer, but the "install" client side seems about the same, BomGar is the same trip. I like GoToAssist simply because it has feeatures (which they may all have now) that really come in handy like rebooting the client computer into Safe Mode, and you get a full hardware diagnostic to tell you what hardware you're dealing with, and yo ucan share your own screen. Like I say maybe all of the other options (sans VNC) can do this...I love VNC, but only while in a LAN. It's fast slick and you can fastpush an install on a LAN if you got a machine with no user or no keyboard/mouse. I need to checkout TeamViewer.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/25/10 09:32 PM
I have used Teamviewer as well, but I need a connection that doesn't require a person there. As far as LogMeIn, I wanted the remote printing, file transfer, and add users feature, which I just found out costs more to have the multiple users. So I think I will just settle for the LogMeIn free version.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Remote desktop software?? - 05/26/10 07:29 AM
Originally posted by junkbox:
I use Citrix GoToAssist, but I'm supporting 60+ users. LogMeIn is fine for what it is. Bomgar is also kinda cool if you have to support Blackberrys or Windows Mobile as well. I would only use VNC within a network, because it is open source, there have been instances in the past with various flavors of VNC being vulnerable to outside attack (cause you gotta poke holes in th erouter as well, same with RDP). If i need to get into a network segment, I'll RDP into the terminal server then VNC my way around the LAN. I've just had bad experiences with an out facing VNC box. GoToAssist ain't as cheap as $250 a year, but you get some decent reporting out of it to bill back customers, and you can reboot in safemode, and stay connected, you can have multiple sessions, set up unattended support, get diagnostic info etc.
I know it's a redundant post, but I couldn't have stated it any better... so consider this a "x2" for this smile

GoToAssist is super easy for the end user/customer. You email them a link or tell them to go to "fastsupport.com" and give them a key. Within minutes you're connected and have full access to their machine. The file transfers work seamless and it's easy to chat too.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Remote desktop software?? - 06/02/10 10:22 PM
I got LogMeIn to refund my money after I found out that buying the pro version didn't allow me to add users. I figured out another work around for each site, and the LogMeIn free version works just fine. I have about $125 into hardware for the remote PC. It has pretty much paid for itself already. I wish I would have thought of this sooner, but then again, at the time, hardware was more expensive.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Remote desktop software?? - 06/03/10 04:21 AM
I just saw the Bomgar product in use. Pretty slick!
Posted By: mongo5150 Re: Remote desktop software?? - 06/06/10 01:07 PM
I use log me in, free, but I do pay for the Logme in central.

Central allows me to provide deployment links for other techs to install the program for me, and I can make user accounts for all of our staff to use logmein free.

Fot eh people that need help on the spot, I use teamviewer as well.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help