atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Nick52 KeyVoice - 10/29/04 05:21 AM
Nick52
Installer
posted October 07, 2004 10:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am having an issue with a comdial dx-80 voiemail. I have a dx-80 with C28 firmware. There voice mail (7270C) was smoked by some kind of power surge or whatever. So I purchased a new voicemail for them (7270-k777) I installed it and everything seemed to work fine except for some kind of timing issue. When the extension is busy on the phone I have the phones set up to call fwd busy to their voice mail boxes. What happens is that when a caller gets that extensions when it is busy through the voice mail it goes right into their mailbox and you will miss the first few seconds of the greeting.
The greeting is recorded as "Hi you've reached so and so I'm not available please leave a message and I will get back with you as soon as possible."

You hear "not available please leavea message and I will get back with you as soon as possible."

Any idea's on what to change. I looked in the manual for timing issues and I didn't see anything for a busy fwd timer. Or some kind of delay. I have even had them try to record the greeting with like a 3-4 second pause in the beginning and it did the same thing. any and all suggestions are welcome.

IP: Logged

markk
posted October 07, 2004 12:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This happens to every mailbox?
Did you watch the call progress on Keylink while testing this?
I've seen them "clip" slightly and a pause at the beginning has always solved that, but I've not seen it this bad.
mark

IP: Logged

Nick52
Installer
posted October 27, 2004 08:05

quote:
Originally posted by markk:
This happens to every mailbox?
Did you watch the call progress on Keylink while testing this?
I've seen them "clip" slightly and a pause at the beginning has always solved that, but I've not seen it this bad.
mark

I watched the progress with keylink. Everything seems to be fine. The voicemail answers and then you dial the digits and it receives the digits. Then it transfers the call. then it plays their greeting when the extension is busy. The problem is with every mailbox not just one. I have tried to pause in the greeting personally. Sometimes the customer says they pause for 5 seconds and it is like 2. So I re-recorded the message and paused as long as I could and it won't let me pause for more than 2-3 seconds. So I muted the phone when I was leaving the message and it still won't let me pause for more than 2-3sec. I tried putting pauses in the transfer times in the VoiceMail options, still the problem persists. I have switched out the backplane and the cpm boards thinking those may be having issues. Nothing seems to work. Is there anything I am missing to check. Or can anyone think of anything to do. I am thinking that the Voice Mail Board is bad possibly. But I don't want to say that because it is brand new! Any ideas are appreciated.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: KeyVoice - 10/29/04 10:50 AM
Are you using blind transfer on the Keyvoice?
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 10/29/04 12:13 PM
No, the transfer is set to "Wait for Ring"
Posted By: Mark K. Re: KeyVoice - 10/29/04 12:50 PM
Have you called Comdial Tech Support yet on this? I'm stumped, but it must be an issue in the VM, I can't think of anyway the phone system database could cause this.
mark
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 10/29/04 01:51 PM
I haven't called tech support yet. I haven't had time to wait on hold that long. I am so busy doing other work. I haven't had time to just sit down and try to work this out with people. I will have time in a week or two. I was hoping somebody has had this happen to them before and I would they would be able to help me. Wishful thinking on my part.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: KeyVoice - 10/29/04 03:10 PM
It's a strange problem, but not all the wizards have checked in on it yet. I'll be interested to hear the solution, don't forget to post it when you figure it out.
mark
Posted By: chemcl Re: KeyVoice - 11/04/04 10:34 PM
I had that problem on a keylink before, we changed the transfer to Blind. That fixed it. I don't know if it'll work for you but it couldn't hurt to try.
Posted By: Z-man Re: KeyVoice - 11/05/04 07:49 AM
it is the "wait for ring" parameter. Set it to blind and that should take care of it. The "wait for ring" was designed for those systems which didn't have full vm intergration and a couple of the built in ACD and wait in line functions.
Posted By: 2-wire Re: KeyVoice - 11/05/04 11:24 AM
It almost seems that included in the transfer somehow is also a digit that Fast Forwards through the greeting.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution.

I think the fast forward is for about 3 to 5 seconds, so that would put you right about were your greeting picks up. I am not sure how it is doing it but this might be a start.

good luck,

2wire
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/08/04 11:08 AM
I was under the impression that the Wait for Ring option was a supervised transfer mode. If it is a blind transfer the customer will not be able to go back to another extension. Or am I thining about this wrong. If I am please let me know, I don't want to be mis informed. I changed the transfer to Blind but the customer I believe is on vacation this week and has not returned my phone calls. Thanks for all of the help.
Posted By: Bigkayeh Re: KeyVoice - 11/08/04 11:46 AM
It's been a couple of years since I worked on a DX-80 but I remember that the first inskin VM's would not allow you to change from blind to any other option. Comdial said that it was the only method that would work with the DX-80 and it sounds like they never really got that fixed. Wait for ring is for the voice mail to be able to detect busy conditions and retreive the callbefore transfer if ring is detected it handles the call like blind. When the busy conditon is encountered it has to flash back to get the call from transfer hold and this is probably where the clipping occurs. Blind allows the call to be returned to the system with the proper reason codes. Comdial products are designed to integrate with the Key Voice in such a way that you should use blind transfer for most situations.

HTH

Kerry
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/08/04 12:10 PM
That makes sense. I just got a call back from the customer a few minutes ago and they said that the program change(Blind Transfer) seemed to fix the problem. No more cut-off's!!! But she said that there is one more thing that is different from the last voice-mail that was in there. When there are new messages on a phone. They check the messages and then hang-up. Then the display will blip. The display will blip from saying "New Messages: 7" to "New Messages: " It will blip 7 times that same message and then the display will clear and go back to its normal state, Date/time/ext #/name. Is there something that can be changed so that it won't do that or will it do it forever and the customer has to suffer for ever and ever. LOL Sorry evil streak. Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: Z-man Re: KeyVoice - 11/08/04 05:32 PM
how many ports and how many of the ports are set for notification?
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/09/04 02:13 PM
It's a four port VM. What do you mean by notification. I don't have message notification to where it calls a phone or a pager. Is that what you mean?
Posted By: Z-man Re: KeyVoice - 11/09/04 04:22 PM
Under outcalling for the line configuration, you set which ports are able to outcall. These ports are also used to light the MWLs. You might have an issue with these.
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/10/04 05:17 AM
What kind of issues would that be. Not all the ports are set for updating or too many. I haven't heard of that before. I have never had this problem before or people never said anything. I have an older DX-80 voicemail installation manual and I looked in it and didn't see anything except for allowing the VM ports to dial out. Is that what you are talking about?
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: KeyVoice - 11/12/04 01:28 PM
JUST MY TWO CENTS:
I always set up my VM's to unsupervised transfers. I always liked the idea of the phone sys. handling the call and freeing up the valuable VM ports. Not to mention I have to worry less about integration conflicts.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: KeyVoice - 11/12/04 02:23 PM
Nick:
I think what Z-Man is talking about is in the LINE INFORMATION setup screen ---there is a column in there that asks "Outgoing allowed?" You can configure more ports to be used for MW paths by saying "YES". I think on an 8 port system--I generally make 2 ports out outgoing- --that's just allowing them for outgoing use--not restricting them for outgoing use. I don't recall there being much (or any) discussion of this in the DX-80 VM book. The older KeyVoice Corporate Office books have alot more stuff in them.
I, too, have to agree with BillF--those VM ports are most always at a premium--and if you use supervised transfers---you seriously decrease the effectiveness of your VM ports every time you get a call. A supervised transfer uses a port at least twice as long as a blind transfer does. When traffic is minimal--it makes no difference, but when traffic is heavy---you've got a VM system that is going to be blocked up.
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/22/04 05:26 AM
Changed the ports to allow outgoing calls and received a call from the customer saying that everything is working fine. I usually set up the ports to allow outgoing calls. Is there any cons for setting up all of the ports for outgoing calls? Like on a 4-port VM setting all 4 for outgoing calls allowed. I do that because quite a few people like to have the message notification so I allow all 4 for outoging calls. If there is a downfall for doing that please let me know.
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: KeyVoice - 11/22/04 10:33 AM
The only down fall I can think of is:

If your message waiting get que'd up to go out port 1 and your system is pretty busy, then the message delivery will be delayed. This may be important if your using it for emergency delivery.

I always set up port 1 for no outbound and everything else for allowed outbound.

------------------
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]
Posted By: Nick52 Re: KeyVoice - 11/24/04 05:10 AM
That makes sense. Thanks for the help.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help