atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: edog Where can I acquire a 100-pair feeder cable? - 08/16/05 09:49 AM
I am a Network Admin for a small company, and am also in charge of telecommunications. Since I don't usually purchase telcom cabling, I am not familiar with some of the popular vendors. The vendors that I use for data cabling do not seem to carry 100-pair feeder cables.

I am in need of about 150' of 100-pair feeder cabling, for connecting a suite in a new location to the MPOE.

Any suggestions on where I can purchase this for a decent price?
You can get it at any supplier in your area, try Graybar, they are a little high but will have it. Also would you please fill out your profile.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited August 16, 2005).]
I do buy some things from Graybar, which is only about 5 miles from my location. They just seem to be rather expensive for someone like me who doesn't buy a lot.

[Profile completed]

[This message has been edited by edog (edited August 16, 2005).]
Look in the phone book or even do a google and I'm sure you will find a place that has better prices, you are correct they are high, that's why I don't use them but on the other hand 100 pr isn't cheap either.
Personally, I would go with four 25 pair cables instead. Yes, it is a bit more difficult to run four cables, but 25 pair is much more readily-available through more simple suppliers, like electrical supply houses. I won't be surprised when Lowes and Home Depot start carrying it.

If you have a Rexel branch in your area, I would try them. They usually stock 25 pair and will cut it to length.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?
I may have what you need. I'll have to get the measurement. We do a lot of work for schools as well and constantly running 100 pr OSP between their buildings. email me so I have your info.

dan
edog----- Call Anixter 1-800-482-1328 ask for Dave Lanstra. They have everything you could possibly need. They will drop ship it right to your door.
Is Anixter still in business? I heard that they were gone. The phone number for our local branch in Washington, DC is now answered with "Hello". Number has been recycled and used for a residence, incicating that is has been out of service for quite a while.

I also heard that other East-Coast locations, specifically the Atlanta area, were also closed.

Personally, it doesn't bother me a bit. Always overpriced and snotty, despite the fact that we were spending $10K+ per month with them. They were still selling to Bell companies at the time and I guess my little purchases were too much of a hassle.

Just my opinion. I had a bad 6 year experience with them and quite frankly am surprised that they are still around.
I work with the office in Detroit and they have always taken care of me and I only send 10K every six months. I like them because when I travel anywhere in the U.S and needed some material they could get it to me right away. All I have to do is call one # talk to the same guy, no matter where I was and it would get to me. I guess you have to find the right sales guy and have a good working relationship with him. I didn't know about the closings, I will have to ask about that.
Has ayone heard of CXtec, I think they are out of Syracuse,NY. I haven't dealt with them much, but they keep calling.
who's cheaper then graybar? that has what you need? i am in a small town and graybar in nashville tn it's just 1.5 hrs away. i have to have everything ups to me. so i take cheaper. if they have a good sale rep
Everybodys cheaper then Graybar, try Avon Datacom 516-3932550 ask for Geo ext 100 They are in Hicksville NY. Price wise I think you'll be happy.
I like Clifford Cable in Vermont for those hard to get cable orders.........
If you do use multiple 25-pair cables, and only have one reel, one way to go about it is to find out (for sure...but don't be short...better to be a little long) your total end-to-end length for the run, then pull off and cut multiple lengths. Then once all are cut to the right length, pull them all through at one time. Just a tip. I'm sure this isn't the best way, but if you only have one reel, don't want to pull it multiple times, and can figure out a good accurate length, it'll get the job done.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: KLD Re: Where can I acquire a 100-pair feeder cable? - 08/25/05 07:48 PM
Buy the pull string with the footage markings --- pull it through then you'll know the distance. Cut cable, mark to identify later, and pull away ---ONE TIME.

Have fun [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help