atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: icpeanuts who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 03:13 PM
Do the cabling guy or the phone system guy setup the 66 blocks?

This is two different project of running the actual cables and setting up the phone system.

Thanks
Posted By: WRichey Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 03:39 PM
9 out of 10 times it better be the cabling guy.

The phone system will come with its own blocks supplied by the system vendor.

If your cabling guy does not install them then he is short changing you.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 06:04 PM
How do you connect the 25 cables to the 66 block? I am new to this and want to find out more info. I did some search online, but it is very confusing.
Posted By: metelcom Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 06:30 PM
I'm assuming you have a punch tool and know the tp colors start with the blue pair, then orange, green, brown repeat for next 24 wires. How about a little more info in your profile so we know who you are. Also if your new at this and plan on asking many questions you may want to introduce yourself here The pro's like to know who they are helping
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 06:37 PM
Thanks for your help. yes I know the above info. For the phone cabling, If I use cat5e for phone cabling, it have 4 pairs, how many pairs do I use to connect to the 66 block? In what order do I connect them?
Posted By: metelcom Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 06:50 PM
If you don't already know this your in way over your head
https://www.cabling-design.com/references/colorcodes/25pair.shtml
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 07:07 PM
The white is the tip and the color is the ring.

There are 25 pairs the left and right of the 66 block. How are they used? When do you use the bridge clip?

In what order do I punch down the pair from the cable to the 66 block?

I want to learn and I am new. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 07:20 PM
What you are asking is beyond the purpose of this board. This is for helping endusers with user guide info or for helping experienced installers with help from fellow professional installers. My suggestion is to get with a telephone or cable installer and get your eyes and hands on a project in process. There is so much info involved in this that we could not possibly step you through this one sentence at a time.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 07:25 PM
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: KLD Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 08:08 PM
icpeanuts, welcome to the BB.

welcome

Please complete your profile so we know whom we are assisting. If we knew where you were located we might be able to suggest someone who might be able to assist you with the necessary training you are looking for.

Many telephone equipment manufacturers and structured wiring equipment manufacturers have excellent layout information.

Hope you enjoy the board.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 09:08 PM
The forum is great so far. I am getting response, that is very important.

I am a computer consultant located in New York, I also do work in New Jersey area.

I am looking to learn about telephone cabling and eventually telephone systems.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 09:20 PM
I thought it would be an easy answer.

For example, there are 25 cables coming from all over the office. Each of the cable have 4 twisted pair. I want to find out how to connect the twisted pair from each cable to the 66 block so it can be connected to the PBX by the phone guys.

I understand the 25 color coded pair, there are 4 clips on each row, briding clips are used to connect the left to the right.

I am not sure what to do with those 25 cables, where do I connect them to on the 66 block.
Posted By: Clinton Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/03/06 11:22 PM
The thing is, it's not as simple as just knowing the colour code, or what order to punch the cables down. If this is your first kick at doing this sort of thing, even with help from guys on this board, your terminations are going to look nasty. The phone guy is going to be a lot happier if you just let him do those terminations himself. Pay him for the extra half hour, watch and learn. Honestly, you will not be doing him any favours by terminating those cables yourself. It will take you 5 times longer to do it, and there's a good chance he may have to fix your mistakes anyways.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, so please don't take this the wrong way. If you want to learn, you need someone to teach you in person. Anything else will just end badly.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 12:01 AM
Thank You. This is the first time for me and you are right. I will ask.

I am looking to get a headstart. Some advice to have some idea in that goes where and what connect to what. Thanks for all the comments.
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 02:43 AM
icpeanuts, I can tell that you are determined to do this and all of us phone guys are very particular about doing things the right way so lets get started.

I want you to take all 25 cables and create what is called a service loop somewhere close to the telephone system backboard. For example if all the cables come down from a drop ceiling then this can be done just above the ceiling. The service loop is important especially in this application. If an error is made at the end of the cable then the cable can be lenghthened using the slack in the loop and thus not ruining the entire cable run.

2) Find a location for the 66 blocks on the backboard. You will need at least 3 66 blocks so find a spot that is eye level to an average 6ft person. This location will be permanent and service techs will be dealing with it for years to come. Make sure it is not right in the middle of the board. Other items will go on the board later so leave them room. Your blocks can go side by side or top to bottom. Remember, a lot of techs from now on will be dealing with the location you choose so if you want their respect this is important.

I'll be back after I get a cup of coffee!!
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 03:15 AM
OK, Break time is over, back to work.

You need to know the critical function of the 66 block. Connecting a cable to a 66 block is to create a PERMANENT end to the cable. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Example: There will be a cable terminated on the first eight pins on the top left side of the 66 block. The first one will be White/Blue. From now on any connection that needs to be made to that wire will be made to the pin immediately to the right. The theory behind this is simple. Connections can be made then removed later, then made differently without altering the integrity or length of the actual station cable. Once a station cable has been made correctly is should last till the building is torn down. PERIOD. This tidbit of information is the reason why phone guys don't like "others" wandering around next to the phone board with dangerous items such as screwdrivers and Swiss Army knives.

More to Come, I do like my coffee..
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 03:47 AM
Now we are to the point of actually terminating each cable. Select the cable to be first. Perhaps you have a numbering scheme or a specific order. Feed the cable in the space behind the 66 block either from the top or the bottom depending where they come from. Removee the outer jacket from the cable and untwist the White/Blue-Blue/White pair. The White/Blue will go on the top pin then the Blue/White will go under neath it. Follow suit with Orange Pair then Green Pair and last the Brown pair.
Select cable #2 and repeat. 6 cables down the left side and 6 cables down the right side. In the event you are going to use left side only then you will need 5 66 blocks.

Get a cardboard box for trash, youre gonna generate a bunch of it. If a little voice iin your head says your screwing up, listen to it. The little voices are never wrong.

Now one last thing. Wait until a few other members here post some info. I may have left something out.

When you finish this project take a picture and post it here. I have early stages of carpul tunnel from this and I expect something in return.

Last tip! Wear your punch tool like Matt Dillon wore his gun. Laying it down and picking it up over and over is a sure sign of a rookie.

John
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:36 AM
Here is a litle saying I came up with to remember the second color sequence in a 25 pair cable:

When Roses Bloom You Vomit.

When = white
Roses = red
Bloom = black
You = yellow
Vomit = violet

You can also give a number to each color, with white being zero because it is not a real color. Then you can quickly translate the color code into a pair number using Mickey's formula:

Second no. times 5 plus first no. = pair no.

For instance if you have violet/green, then it is pair 23, because

4 x 5 + 3 = 23
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:42 AM
Using Mickey's aphorism and formula, can anyone give me the pair number of black/brown?

The first person to answer correctly gets a gold star and 3 feet of black/brown wire.
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:56 AM
We
Respect
Buitiful
Young
Virgins
Posted By: jknichols Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 09:50 AM
Black brown would be pair 14. (2 times 5 plus 4).

Just make sure my prize is really black/brown and not black/orange - I always have trouble telling those two apart! - actually its only the black half of the pairs that get mixed up when the old cat 3 with loose twists would shake apart.
Posted By: WRichey Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 10:41 AM
why
run
backward
you
varment
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 10:54 AM
Why
Run
Before
You
Vomit
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 10:59 AM
we ride big yellow vehicles
bell operators give better service
Posted By: KLD Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 01:23 PM
Okay, MP, don't start --- there are a couple of old splicers in this bunch. Where's the x-pair?

:idea: :toothy:
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 06:07 PM
Thank you for the tutorial. I will digest it. You guys are great.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 06:35 PM
Should I use cat5e for telephone cabling or cat 3?

The building requires Plenum cabling, the cat5e are alot more expensive. Can you guys suggest a place to get cabling cat 3, 5e and 6 Plenum cheap?

Thanks
Posted By: WRichey Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:11 PM
there is no such thing as cheap copper :confused:

Your local electic supply house or the web are your best bets.

I would use cat3 not 5 or 6 for voice but thats just me
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:17 PM
I can't stress how awesome this tutorial helped me. Thanks. I have some questions.

Cable 1 starts on the left most of the 66 block. Cable 2 the right most, cable 3 continues on the on the left. Cable 4 to the right and continue..

Do I use the bridging clips to connect the left side to the right side? That means, I have to use 48 bridging clips per 66 block? Please clarify.

On the left side and right side, there can be 6 cables each. Total 12 cables per 66 block.

Do I need to connect the 1st 66 block to 2nd 66 block to the 3rd 66 block? if so, how.

There are two rows of pins left, are those use to connect to the other 66 blocks or to the phone system? Is this call cross connect? Do you use 49 and the 50th pins to connect?

Thanks
Posted By: anthonyh Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:17 PM
I agree cat 3 for voice unless other wise specified by the csr
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:41 PM
Would this tutorial work with T568A or T568B when installing the Cat3 jacks? Which is used more in the real world?
Posted By: metelcom Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 07:49 PM
install 12 cables per 66 block
you do not need the bridge clips, bridge clips would be used on phone system 66 block system cables go to one side and cross connect wires to the other side use clips to bridge together, that way you can isolate station wires from ksu for easy troubleshooting. you should find someone to teach you this as there are many things that can effect the job quality
Posted By: WRichey Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 08:33 PM
I am going to stress what Metelcom said along with some others.

Without the basics learned through a mentor or qualified Tech you are going to have trouble. PLEASE get some hands on training before you take on this project.

Now the way you described wiring to the block is not what I prefer but it will work as long as they are labeled well. I prefer in order. 1-6 on the left 7-12 on the right.

This class on telecom does not include data wiring. That is a new subject smile

https://www.la-cable.com/telephone_technical.htm#USOC

No you dont use 49 and 50 or 24 and 25 for anything. they just happen to be open because the blocks were designed for 25 pairs and the IW only uses.....well you do the math LOL

Leave the bridging to the phone guy who will be installing the system. The cables dont need to be chained just terminated.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/04/06 11:10 PM
I will have someone guide me. Hopefully. I am talking with someone, but I want to learn as much as I can.

Is there a difference if the wiring is terminated 1-6 on the left, 7 to 12 on the right side? VS the way I describe it? I though that was what "grider" meant, I misunderstood.

I am having trouble understanding what the second second color sequence in a 25 pair cable:

Pair Primary (tip) Secondary (ring)
1 White/Blue Blue/White
2 White/Orange Orange/White
3 White/Green Green/White
4 White/Brown Brown/White
5 White/Slate Slate/White
6 Red/Blue Blue/Red
7 Red/Orange Orange/Red
8 Red/Green Green/Red
9 Red/Brown Brown/Red
10 Red/Slate Slate/Red
11 Black/Blue Blue/Black
12 Black/Orange Orange/Black
13 Black/Green Green/Black
14 Black/Brown Brown/Black
15 Black/Slate Slate/Black
16 Yellow/Blue Blue/Yellow
17 Yellow/Orange Orange/Yellow
18 Yellow/Green Green/Yellow
19 Yellow/Brown Brown/Yellow
20 Yellow/Slate Slate/Yellow
21 Violet/Blue Blue/Violet
22 Violet/Orange Orange/Violet
23 Violet/Green Green/Violet
24 Violet/Brown Brown/Violet
25 Violet/Slate Slate/Violet

What are they? Are they actual cables? How are the color code being use?

For terminating cabling on 66 block, do I need to worry about the 25 pairs color code?
Posted By: metelcom Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/05/06 04:40 AM
You only need to worry about the color code if you use 25 pair cable that is what is quite often used from phone system to punch block here is my color code page see if that helps
https://www.megalink.net/~turnertech/telecomcolor.htm
Posted By: FTT388 Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/05/06 03:50 PM
There is a site where you seen a guy installing a KSU. He shows the method he uses for terminating the cables. Watch the short video he has on his site. https://www.sandman.com. This may give you a clearer picture of how is it done. All these guys responing to you are PROs and they have seen the up and downs of our craft.
And thanks for asking how? To many times i have seen someone work on a site which was a damn poor try at it
Posted By: plenum Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/05/06 04:18 PM
While
Running
Backwards
You
will
Puke
Posted By: FTT388 Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/05/06 08:43 PM
why
run
backwards
you'll
vomit

boys
on
girls
bring
s??
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 08:20 AM
I really appreciate the help all you guys help. Especially "grider". Thank you all. smile

Another question. I came across this during my searches. Its a 66 block with 12 rj11 plug/jacks.

Here is it on ebay
https://cgi.ebay.com/Siemon-66-bloc...309QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this

https://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/ECAT_GI_page.aspx?GI_ID=66_s66m425-128lr

WOuld this be used to bypass the need for terminating the cables? With above item, I only need to create a rj11 modular plug from the each of the 25 cables and plug it right into the rj11 jacks and the job is done. This is for information purpose.

Please comment.
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 09:50 AM
Terminating to a 66 block is easy unless you don't know how, which I don't think you do yet or if you ever will. Now if you want a real nightmare on your hands start crimping mod plugs of different sizes to cables of various different grades and applications. If you get those items from ebay to make things easier you heading down a dark and lonely road.

Good Luck
Posted By: Clinton Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 10:10 AM
Crimping mod ends on those cables essentially turns them into patch cables. Patch cables eventually fail and need to be thrown out and replaced. You don't want to treat your structured cabling like a bunch of patch cables.

Treat your structured cabling and terminations like a permanent fixture. Once the cables have been terminated, you shouldn't have to move them around or plug them into anything. That's what jumper wire is for.

I still stand by my advice to let a professional do your terminations. If you're looking for shortcuts rather than just following grider's instructions, then you're probably coming to the same conclusion by now. Honestly, there is no shame in not doing the terminations yourself. I teach a cabling course, and I cannot think of too many students who could do the lab work based only on reading descriptions of how to do it. Not without butchering the job anyways. If you really want to learn how to do this, you need someone to physically show you how. Every situation is a little bit different, and only someone with experience is going to know how best to deal with your exact situation.
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 12:37 PM
Hi Grider, from your tutorial, I think I understand terminating the 66 block. I was wondering about what those 66 blocks are for.

Thank you.

I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

On the left side of the 66 block. Cable 1 to 6. Untwist and Punch down each twisted pair on the left most clip. Blue, Orange, Green and Brown pairs

On the right side, continue with cable 7-12, do the same thing on the right most clip.

I would need 3 66 blocks for 25 cables. For the cabling job, is this all I have to do?

I know how to terminate to a Patch Panel for cat5e cabling. I was getting confuse because mainly this is the first time I am doing telephone caling.

Thanks Gridger. You love your coffee, is there a particular brand/favor you like? Starbucks?
Have a nice day all.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 01:01 PM
Those 66 blocks that you mentioned are pretty much for terminating station cables with a jack on each end. The fact that the equipment end is on this block just makes it go a little faster. You would then run patch cords from each jack on the block to the corresponding jacks on the system (i.e: Panasonic, Partner, Comdial DX80). This is not the most preferred way to do things since you are basically committing the wiring system to one particular family of systems.

You should terminate the cables from top to bottom down one side using a standard 66M1-50 block. It's OK to stack these blocks vertically. If you choose to do this, the left side of the lower block becomes cables 7-12; the upper-right of the top block becomes cables 13-18 and so on.

This would end up leaving you with a single cable on the third block, but that's OK. You need to leave additional block space for future cable runs. For the third block, make sure to leave the width of a block between them horizontally (about 3") for jumper routing. Better yet, use a factory backboard (183A1 for example) which will provide 89-type brackets that are spaced in a uniform manner.

Using standard 66M1-50 blocks also leaves your installation more universal, meaning that any system can be connected to your wiring with ease. Simple cross-connect wiring affords much more flexibility in the long run. Using pre-terminated blocks that contain jacks are really not the way you want to go.
Posted By: grider Re: who sets up the 66 blocks? - 12/06/06 07:01 PM
Starbucks sells easy to mail gift certificates. Do you need my address?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help