atcomsystems.ca/forum
I was called out to pull a 25 pair cable and a CAT5E cable from the demarc into the customers suite. (Roughly 50') When I arrived I noticed the conduit from the Demarc to the suite already had a 25 pair cable and 3 6 Pair Shielded cables squeezed into this 3/4 conduit. I tried to pull the 6 pair cables out but couldn't move them. With no other option I tried to pull a Cat5 cable through so they could get their T1 terminated but unfortunately the cable snapped 42 feet into the pull. mad (No I can't get that CAT5 cable back out - it won't budge)

Any suggestions on how to clear that conduit? There is no other underground conduit going into that suite.

- Tom -
I had good luck hiring Roto Rooter to come out and run a snake through a pipe with a 25 pair that was stuck in it. The snake managed to wiggle the 25 pair around enough to break it free. It didn't even damage it. This was a 1-1/2" pipe though; I don't know if they can go that small with a sewer snake.
Thanks Ed, I was thinking the same thing but besides the size of the conduit, it appears the GC installed plastic flex conduit down the wall at least 5' and connected it (hopefully) to the rigid conduit going out to the demarc. I would be really worried about tearing the flex loose.

- Tom -
Yeah, I know what you mean. One thing that I forgot to mention was that the Roto Rooter guy ran his cable through WITHOUT any kind of head attached; just a 3/8" cable. The twisting and movement was enough to break the existing cable free.
why do you need cat5 for the T1 ?

why not use existing cable ?
The CLEC is requesting a CAT5 Cable.

I have no idea whether the 6 Pair cables are CAT5 or CAT3. If I can't clear the jam I'm going to tell them they will have to make do with the 6 Pair Shielded cable. Let's say hypothetically it's CAT3 - will the customer or CLEC experience any issues with that T1?

-Tom-
You won't have any problems for that distance, especially if it's shielded. To play it safe, use one pair on one cable for transmit and one pair in another for receive. I have gotten away with much less stringent measures before with no adverse effects.
A Greenlee (or equivalent) cable puller (Super Tugger) will pull almost anything in our out of a conduit. If you're unfamiliar with them - get someone who knows how to use them to do it - they can be VERY dangerous in inexperienced hands.

However if the conduit is not fastened properly it will be pulled apart.

Sam
I thought t1 only required cat 3

thats all Ive ever provided
The T1 goes for miles on CAT-nothing. I've got locations with 200+ft between the NIU and the equipment and it's all CAT3 with no problems.

Then again who are you to care about what goes in the pipe? They didn't call you for your opinion, they called you to put in the wire laugh laugh CAT5 won't hurt, so put it in and your customer is nice and happy.
Send a mouse into the conduit--they can eat up ANY Telco cable :rofl:
If they really want this to happen, at this point it sounds like you're pulling EVERYTHING out starting on a Saturday morning. Then install new as needed, with plenty of spare. Consider dual fiber, you're only gonna get 1 chance! Be sure to pump a BUNCH of cable lube in there to try to 'Grease The Ways'! Good Luck! smile John C. (Not Garand)
With no other option I tried to pull a Cat5 cable through but unfortunately the cable snapped 42 feet into the pull.

That's interesting. How did you pull it? Were you able to push a snake all the way through?

One possibility as to what has happened is that the conduit, probably EMT, has filled with water as every below grade run will. The water caused it to corrode and cause the cable to stick.

Another possibility is that the lube that was used dried out, again causing the cable to stick to the conduit wall.

If you were able to get a fish tape through that's a good sign. I will have to do some looking but I do remember somebody who makes a kind of solvent that you can pump into the conduit that will soften whatever is in there. If that is sucessful and you are able to pull everything out there is a wire brush that you pull through to clean the garbage out.

When you pull back in make sure the lube you use won't dry out and stick everything together again.

-Hal
Thanks everyone for your advice. Hal, I believe you hit it on the head with your comment about water in the conduit and the cables sticking. There was a pull string in the conduit and that is what I used to almost get my CAT5 cable through. When looking at the pull string I could see water stains. Unfortunately now I can't get a snake through & I can't budge the cables, so I'm taking Ed & Skips advice and utilize the 6 Pair cables.

Thanks again. -Tom-
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help