atcomsystems.ca/forum
We have a need to identify specific fire / electrical / networking codes / regulations, etc that address the "standard" for installing a FIRE RATED back-board (i.e. fire resistant 3/4" plywood or 3/4" plywood with 2 coats of white fire retardant paint) behind wall-mounted IDF cabinets or on the walls in MDF closets.

Any links / pointers to "authoritative" specifications for such are greatly appreciated!!

Thank You
This would be a local code requirement and it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Most do not have this requirement, others do for certain occupancies and usually schools are one occupancy required to use them.

The place to start is the building inspector or fire marshal for the jurisdiction where the work will be done. He should be able to give you information where you can obtain the code sections with the information that you are looking for.

-Hal
A lot of places have design standards where they will specify exactly what they require. UT has a section on their website that specifically outlines every detail of the cabling system as they expect it to be installed.
The ANSI/EIA/TIA Building Telecom Wiring Standards, Section 569-A Sub-Section7.2.4.1 states:

"A minimum of two walls should be covered with rigidly fixed 3/4" plywood....... either fire-rated or covered with two coats of fire retardant paint"

Please note that the EIA/TIA spec is NOT a code. It IS accepted by most architects, builders and major corporations as the gospel for Telecom Wiring Standards. Note that it says SHOULD and not SHALL.

Also please note that the version I am quoting from is NOT the most recent one. I do believe however, that if anything the spec has gotten more and not less strict.

As Hal said - GO TO THE AHJ (Authority having Jurisdiction) and get the definitive answer from them.

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help