atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: oobie 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 07:32 AM
Where can you find any of this stuff?

We looking for it but cannot seem to find it anywhere! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: crisco3 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 08:55 AM
Are looking for something special on the line cord? These cords are all over the place. If you don't have a parts dealer near you they carry those cords at Wall Mart, any of the Office Supply stores. Basically anyplace that you can purchase home phones. You are talking about the cord from the wall to the phone, not from the phone to the handset?
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 09:06 AM
why single pair ?

do you need pre-made cords or bulk cordage ?
Posted By: oobie Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 09:29 AM
We have had issues with 4 conductor line cords and Tech support(Vertical and ESI) always says to change them out to single pair line cords. Which in some cases works as i'm sure i'm not the only person that has seen it. In some instance i have some 10' and 14' ones that come with phones but its always the one that goes the whole way around the room. I've gotten around by putting a coupler in place then using the cord with the phone but a coupler is just another point of failure. I can't find them anywhere or even just the silver line cord itself and ends to make it. I may be just calling it the wrong thing?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 09:41 AM
I have gotten the cords themselves from a company called "Provisions Modular Hardware" in New York.

LINK
Posted By: crisco3 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 09:50 AM
Just out of curiousity how many pins are on the bottom of the phone? When asking for the line cord try referring it as Silver Satin line cord. You should be able to get it where you buy your cross connect wire at. Then you should be able to find modular plugs (RJ-11's) with 2,4 or 6 pins.
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 09:54 AM
two pair available here
Posted By: justbill Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 10:05 AM
Get the two pair but just use the middle pair, don't terminate the outer pair.
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 10:24 AM
Originally posted by skip555:
two pair available here
should read two conductor
Posted By: hbiss Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 01:50 PM
Can't tell you how may I got rid of. Avaya gives them to you with every Partner expansion mod, one for each line port. Had a pile literally two feet high. They went to China when I sold them to the scrap dealer.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 01:56 PM
they used to pack them with modems then we would get a call of a dead station

sure enough single pair line cord somebody grabbbed out to off the modem box
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 02:32 PM
"Get the two pair but just use the middle pair, don't terminate the outer pair."
Yeah, but if you clip the outside pair off, the connection in the plug is wobbly and can't be trusted.

"Avaya gives them to you with every Partner expansion mod..."
Yes, but these cords are only seven feet.

Oobie needs the raw material to make them or to purchase longer cords for the applications where the jack is on the other side of the room. Been there and done that.

The problem is that these phones use the second pair to send commo OUT of the phone to an adjunct device. In the absence of the adjunct, the second pair is connected to a station cable pair that goes a hundred feet or more. It may pickup noise, etc. and cause inexplicable problems.

Manufacturers just assume that the jack is within ten feet and that their stock cord will suffice for every installation. If not, "move the jack closer".

It is tacky to rewire jacks for only one pair to circumvent this situation for a system in place today that might be replaced with something that requires all pairs tomorrow.

One-pair line cords in various lengths truly are hard to find. Retailers don't sell anything less than two pair for obvious reasons.

Now we are back to square one...............
Posted By: justbill Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 02:49 PM
I would think if you made sure the retainer was crimped on the cord the connection would be fine. I'm just assuming since I've never done it.
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 03:58 PM
how about using standard two pair cordage , a 4 conductor plug but use the wire end of a spudger to pull the contacts out on the outside pair prior to crimping ?

(pretty much what Bill said )
Posted By: hbiss Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 04:47 PM
When I need a long line cord I just use 2 pair CAT3 wire. In your case just press a plug onto the w/bl pair and cut the w/or or wrap it back.

I know it's solid but there is not much else you can do.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/05/09 06:00 PM
I've crimped on two pair and then cut the bk/yel out a few inches back. Alternately when I've had to crimp a plug on single pair cable (Polycom Speaker phones) I've inserted two very short pieces of wire in as spacers to hold everything together.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 06:09 AM
Nobody says you gotta crimp the jacket. wink

-Hal
"they used to pack them with modems then we would get a call of a dead station

sure enough single pair line cord somebody grabbbed out to off the modem box"
-------------------------------------------------
Probably easier to count those on the web site who have NOT had this problem! (And 2-pair on a 3-pair phone.) smile John C.
I've had to make cords to swap pins on Inter-Tel systems...pins 4-5 on one side, pins 3-6 on the other. I've never had an issue using just one pair.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 12:27 PM
Oobie, I know that this sounds tacky, but we have done it out of desperation.

Years ago, we sold Comdial Solo II phones that had a power cord that consisted of 24/2 parallel wire (similar to lamp cord but smaller). They had a 6P2C plug on the end that connected to the phone. We often had to extend these beyond the 7' reach of the power cord.

We used clear 24/2 speaker wire and tinned the stripped the ends. They fit perfectly into the channels in the mod plugs. Regardless of solid or stranded type plugs, there was enough of a bite to make the connection.

It is a lot of work, but they look like real cords when you are finished. You just have to feel like just sitting down for a few hours and making some up.

I wish I had a better solution, but I haven't seen one yet.
Posted By: jknichols Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 12:51 PM
Can you put a 6P2C plug on standard 4 wire cable? - it should connect to only the center pair electrically but leaving the outer pair there for mechanical strength.
Posted By: oobie Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 01:42 PM
I actually thought of that Ed.

How about 6p2c plugs? I can't find them either.
Posted By: skip555 Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 01:54 PM
Originally posted by oobie:
I actually thought of that Ed.

How about 6p2c plugs? I can't find them either.
6p2c here
Posted By: hbiss Re: 1 pair Line cord ( 2 wire single pair) - 05/06/09 03:35 PM
Wow, 30 cents a piece? Those guys are expensive. What's the reason you can't use 6p4 or 6c plugs and just wire pins 3&4?

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help