atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jjimm Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 11:14 AM
I read past posts, but couldn't find this specific info. I have a nightmare cable run to install through about 150 ft of flex conduit. The 1/8 in steel will not go through from either end.I found a break in the flex about 30 ft from one end where a previous installer broke the flex to negotiate two 90's-hopefully there are no more breaks cause we can't find any. Out here in the San Francisco area, almost noone uses conduit anymore, preferring Plenum cabling. Back in the good ole days in the phone company we used to carry a "big steel" for runs like these and very long runs. I can't remember if it was 1/4 in steel or 1/2 inch. Also, I've never used fiberglass fish tape. Would fiber be better for this run? I would assume it would be good for short distances but hard to force past 100 ft.
Posted By: justbill Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 11:17 AM
Providing no more breaks a vacuum might be the easiest method.
Posted By: jjimm Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 12:33 PM
Unfortunately there are 2 cables in the conduit which would interfere w a seal. The tech onsite said these cables wouldn't budge to use a a pull wire and then pull them back in.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 01:26 PM
The most important part of the information you left out- what size is the conduit and what is it? Greenfield (FMC), Sealtite (LMC), plastic?

None of those are suitable for 150' runs so basically you are screwed even with nothing in it. Depending on the size, if it were me I would try a 1/8" tape with a spring leader but I wouldn't get my hopes up. There has to be some reason the existing runs can't be pulled out and that right there isn't good news.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 02:33 PM
150' is too long a run to be installed with flex. Perhaps there's a pull box in the middle of the run (at the 100' mark) and that's why you can't pull the old cables out?

It's also possible that the old cables were installed with a crappy lubricant which has dried and hardened.

The fish snake you're remembering was probably a 1/4" one.

You might get better results with a rodder, but - as Hal said - How big is this conduit? What size are the cables already in it?

Why don't you just pull the new run in plenum and bypass the conduit?

Bill, I've never had any luck with a vacuum on flexible conduit (Greenfield) - too much air loss.

Sam
Posted By: Rover88 Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 05:16 PM
I've seen a number of Greenfield runs where the sparkies convoluted the flex so much you couldn't get anything through it. We've done some installations where we actually pull our cables through before the electricians finalize the placement. Here's one example of why we always pull a follow-line in with our cables for (possible) future use.

Also, I second Sam's analysis of air loss for a vacuum install.

Bill
Posted By: KLD Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 05:59 PM
I think Sam pretty well called it although I wouldn't count out the vacuum trick...or blowing. Yep, probably a box somewhere. Blow and listen for the whistle.

I have a 1/8th inch fiberglass tape (125') that is like pushing a wet noodle but it will go places no other tape will go....it works well with flex.

Good Luck.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 06:08 PM
ken may be onto something....maybe a softsnake
Posted By: Jim Cooper Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/19/09 06:47 PM
I have had good luck with a rigid fiberglass snake, it wasn't cheap, I think it was $150 for 100'
Posted By: MNCommunications Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/20/09 06:08 AM
Not that I see this will help any but this is what I use in flex that I have to fish, it seems a little better than fiberglass to me.

https://cableorganizer.com/ideal-industries/31-090-zoom-fish-tape.html#image
Posted By: Fletcher Re: Fish Tape for long flex - 11/20/09 07:01 PM
Your best bet is to free-run the cable or install another conduit.

Last year I had a 170' conduit that I could not completely fish, from either end, with either steel or the nylon tape. Long story short, the EC had to disassemble the conduit at the 3rd 90 to get our cable through.

Jack
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help