atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sjt ESI network guide - 05/03/14 05:27 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the ESI VOIP system. What I'm trying to figure out is how to configure an external dhcp server for the phones. What do I need to include in the dhcp options. What I'm trying to do is separate my voice, and data traffic into two separate vlans. HOw do I get the ESI phones to boot into the voice vlan.
Posted By: bdunne Re: ESI network guide - 05/03/14 06:11 AM
ESI IP phones can either use a proprietary version of DHCP (they call it EHCP) on the ESI server that operates independently of regular DHCP, or they can use an external DHCP server. If you use ESI's DHCP, You don't need to do anything to your external DHCP server.

If you use the external DHCP server to give the phones addresses, the phones will find the ESI server regardless, because they will find the ESI system at layer 1. As long as the are given addresses on the same subnet as the ESI server they will find the server. You may have to set up a custom DHCP scope based on the phones' MAC addresses. DHCP Option 66 is not an option!
Posted By: sjt Re: ESI network guide - 05/03/14 04:08 PM
Thanks,
The issue is that I'm using a cisco switch. From the sound of the DHCP. I will not be able to get the phones to boot into voice vlan. Sounds like I will have to make all my ports going to the phones trunk ports instead of access ports. Have you ever used cisco switch with these phones? If so how did you get them to boot into voice vlan.
Posted By: bdunne Re: ESI network guide - 05/03/14 09:15 PM
If you have access to installer programming, use function 822 to make sure that you have external DHCP turned off and also to set your VLAN ID if you want to use a VLAN. I would think most switches should pass through any layer 1 traffic that the ESI servers use for booting and config.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI network guide - 05/05/14 08:06 PM
We have a 600 with 22 remote IP phones working through a Cisco. It works.

Rcaman
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help