atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: LaneComm Open source CMS Software? - 11/17/09 05:50 PM
Looking for opinions on Linux based open source CMS websites?

Joomla, Drupal, Concrete5 and dozens more at zero cost.

How do they perform compared to MS Frontpage, Expressions, Dream Weaver etc?
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Open source CMS Software? - 11/23/09 06:53 PM
To me, comparing a CMS vs. a desktop publishing program is like comparing apples to oranges. Each has their function, use, and pros/cons.

Pros to CMS: free. decent (free) support. allows remote users to update site without needing extra software. works with any OS + web browser. themes allow easy change of the user interface without having to change a lot of data. a inexperienced person can throw up a web site easily.
Cons to CMS: lots of security vulnerabilities, so you have to keep ontop of upgrading the software. Can be difficult for an inexperienced user to install. May require help from webhosting company to support the CMS (though most should). can look cookie cutter like (i.e. generic no thrills web site that looks like 1000s of other web sites).

Pros to desktop publishing apps: can work offline and then upload changes. more granular control of site. support from a manufacturer.
Cons: a lot more work involved (in my opinion), should know web programming languages well (CSS, HTML, etc), can be expensive to purchase apps (dreamweaver retails for $399). probably will want to hire a web designer to do this.

I probably missed some items, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I use Joomla on my personal site on my personal server. Lots of bots probing for vulnerable Joomla installs all the time. My business site, however, I plan to transition to Joomla or Wordpress in the near future. Just need to get a web designer to make the appropriate themes and logs.
Posted By: LaneComm Re: Open source CMS Software? - 11/24/09 12:23 PM
Thanks - kind of my thoughts as well. The reason I ask is we have a proprietary subscription service that we designed for video survellience via the web and with each system comes a website.

We have about 6 in BETA now done with Dream Weaver and 2 with Joomla but we will probably have a few hundred to support if all goes according to plan :shrug:

Our web guy is pushing a CMS (concrete5) Application so he can pump out sites real quick and make it easy for the end users to add content.

Servers are not a problem so it sounds like he is correct.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Open source CMS Software? - 11/24/09 04:27 PM
CMS definitely sounds like the way to go for your situation. Beats having to code each site, or even coding a template and then editing it afterwards with one of the desktop publishing apps listed above.

Sounds like a neat product. Hope that works out for you.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help