web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#467733 11/17/09 01:50 PM
OP Offline
Looking for opinions on Linux based open source CMS websites?

Joomla, Drupal, Concrete5 and dozens more at zero cost.

How do they perform compared to MS Frontpage, Expressions, Dream Weaver etc?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

To me, comparing a CMS vs. a desktop publishing program is like comparing apples to oranges. Each has their function, use, and pros/cons.

Pros to CMS: free. decent (free) support. allows remote users to update site without needing extra software. works with any OS + web browser. themes allow easy change of the user interface without having to change a lot of data. a inexperienced person can throw up a web site easily.
Cons to CMS: lots of security vulnerabilities, so you have to keep ontop of upgrading the software. Can be difficult for an inexperienced user to install. May require help from webhosting company to support the CMS (though most should). can look cookie cutter like (i.e. generic no thrills web site that looks like 1000s of other web sites).

Pros to desktop publishing apps: can work offline and then upload changes. more granular control of site. support from a manufacturer.
Cons: a lot more work involved (in my opinion), should know web programming languages well (CSS, HTML, etc), can be expensive to purchase apps (dreamweaver retails for $399). probably will want to hire a web designer to do this.

I probably missed some items, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I use Joomla on my personal site on my personal server. Lots of bots probing for vulnerable Joomla installs all the time. My business site, however, I plan to transition to Joomla or Wordpress in the near future. Just need to get a web designer to make the appropriate themes and logs.

OP Offline
Thanks - kind of my thoughts as well. The reason I ask is we have a proprietary subscription service that we designed for video survellience via the web and with each system comes a website.

We have about 6 in BETA now done with Dream Weaver and 2 with Joomla but we will probably have a few hundred to support if all goes according to plan :shrug:

Our web guy is pushing a CMS (concrete5) Application so he can pump out sites real quick and make it easy for the end users to add content.

Servers are not a problem so it sounds like he is correct.

CMS definitely sounds like the way to go for your situation. Beats having to code each site, or even coding a template and then editing it afterwards with one of the desktop publishing apps listed above.

Sounds like a neat product. Hope that works out for you.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,875 Shoretel
188,980 CTX100 install
187,206 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 100 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024