atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: EV607797 Very strange issue - 03/16/11 08:13 AM
Have a customer who went back to Verizon for their dial tone yesterday. Since then, their main number can only be dialed from within the same central office. Calls from elsewhere receive ring/no answer. The really strange part is that the rest of their numbers can be called from anywhere else just fine.

Of course, Verizon accepts no responsibility for this issue and insists that there's something wrong with our equipment (big surprise). Keep in mind that these are regular POTS lines that appear square on a key system. The CO is a 5ESS.

My thought is that their main number is held up in limbo somewhere in the porting process. They claim that the line identification confirms that the correct number is there, but ringing never comes in on it. Miraculously, our system just decided yesterday to start routing calls to this number to infinity on its own. Additionally, how could our system possibly know to only accept calls to this number from other numbers within the same CO?

Any ideas on what could be causing this? They have a 'technician' on-site now and we have one on the way to meet him. I'd like to be as prepared as possible for when we get there.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 08:21 AM
Should be easy enough to verify at the D-Marc by either tech that it's not ringing.

Give me a shout if you want & I'll call in from here when it's diconnected from your equipment. I'm certainly outside the area. smile
Posted By: skip555 Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 08:22 AM
pull everything off the RJ21x , hook a SLT up and tell Verizon your the vendor and there is no ring at the demark
Posted By: Steve Layton Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 08:51 AM
Sounds like in the porting process the command to update all the other COs did not happen the way it should. Maybe they can reprocess the order. I had a similar thing happen several years ago and it took QWEST 5 days before you could call the main number of the business from more that a few areas even close to them served by different central offices. Is the old trunk still on the Dmarc?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 10:32 AM
Looks like we got it figured out:

They forwarded the main number to a now unused number coming from the former CLEC.

Then, they ported the physical number back over to Verizon.

Somehow in this mix, the forwarding stayed in place even after the porting was supposedly done. They released the number and ported it back and now it works. That explains why the number didn't ring, but we'll probably never know why it could only be called within the CO.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 01:46 PM
but we'll probably never know why it could only be called within the CO.
We usually have the reverse problem when we port a number away from the local LEC- they 'forget' to remove the number from their switch programming, and after the number ports, their equipment sees it as a disconnected/NLIS number so anyone on that switch can't make a call to that number. I'll bet VZ had their ducks in a row on this port, so anyone on the same switch could call the number, but the outside world was still under the sway of the forwarded number.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Very strange issue - 03/16/11 06:08 PM
Ed... I still think its an equipment issue...Verizon is never wrong... :rofl:
Posted By: Silversam Re: Very strange issue - 03/17/11 09:12 AM
Originally posted by JBean3329:
We usually have the reverse problem when we port a number away from the local LEC- they 'forget' to remove the number from their switch programming, and after the number ports, their equipment sees it as a disconnected/NLIS number so anyone on that switch can't make a call to that number. I'll bet VZ had their ducks in a row on this port, so anyone on the same switch could call the number, but the outside world was still under the sway of the forwarded number.
aok

Sam
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: Very strange issue - 03/21/11 12:40 PM
Originally posted by JBean3329:
Yup, intra-switch calls didn’t have to hit the SS7 network to get mussed up in the confusion. It just connected port –to-port within itself.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help