Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#478690 03/16/11 04:13 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Have a customer who went back to Verizon for their dial tone yesterday. Since then, their main number can only be dialed from within the same central office. Calls from elsewhere receive ring/no answer. The really strange part is that the rest of their numbers can be called from anywhere else just fine.

Of course, Verizon accepts no responsibility for this issue and insists that there's something wrong with our equipment (big surprise). Keep in mind that these are regular POTS lines that appear square on a key system. The CO is a 5ESS.

My thought is that their main number is held up in limbo somewhere in the porting process. They claim that the line identification confirms that the correct number is there, but ringing never comes in on it. Miraculously, our system just decided yesterday to start routing calls to this number to infinity on its own. Additionally, how could our system possibly know to only accept calls to this number from other numbers within the same CO?

Any ideas on what could be causing this? They have a 'technician' on-site now and we have one on the way to meet him. I'd like to be as prepared as possible for when we get there.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#478691 03/16/11 04:21 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Should be easy enough to verify at the D-Marc by either tech that it's not ringing.

Give me a shout if you want & I'll call in from here when it's diconnected from your equipment. I'm certainly outside the area. smile

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#478692 03/16/11 04:22 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
pull everything off the RJ21x , hook a SLT up and tell Verizon your the vendor and there is no ring at the demark

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#478693 03/16/11 04:51 AM
Sounds like in the porting process the command to update all the other COs did not happen the way it should. Maybe they can reprocess the order. I had a similar thing happen several years ago and it took QWEST 5 days before you could call the main number of the business from more that a few areas even close to them served by different central offices. Is the old trunk still on the Dmarc?

#478694 03/16/11 06:32 AM
OP Offline
Looks like we got it figured out:

They forwarded the main number to a now unused number coming from the former CLEC.

Then, they ported the physical number back over to Verizon.

Somehow in this mix, the forwarding stayed in place even after the porting was supposedly done. They released the number and ported it back and now it works. That explains why the number didn't ring, but we'll probably never know why it could only be called within the CO.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#478695 03/16/11 09:46 AM
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
but we'll probably never know why it could only be called within the CO.
We usually have the reverse problem when we port a number away from the local LEC- they 'forget' to remove the number from their switch programming, and after the number ports, their equipment sees it as a disconnected/NLIS number so anyone on that switch can't make a call to that number. I'll bet VZ had their ducks in a row on this port, so anyone on the same switch could call the number, but the outside world was still under the sway of the forwarded number.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
#478696 03/16/11 02:08 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Ed... I still think its an equipment issue...Verizon is never wrong... :rofl:

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#478697 03/17/11 05:12 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by JBean3329:
We usually have the reverse problem when we port a number away from the local LEC- they 'forget' to remove the number from their switch programming, and after the number ports, their equipment sees it as a disconnected/NLIS number so anyone on that switch can't make a call to that number. I'll bet VZ had their ducks in a row on this port, so anyone on the same switch could call the number, but the outside world was still under the sway of the forwarded number.
aok

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#478698 03/21/11 08:40 AM
Originally posted by JBean3329:
Yup, intra-switch calls didn’t have to hit the SS7 network to get mussed up in the confusion. It just connected port –to-port within itself.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,326 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024