atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Tip&Ring Centrex between Central offices - 07/13/11 04:58 PM
It's been a long time since i have seen this done but now I have a customer that is merging two companies and needs them to be able to use thier centrex services between two CO's.

The Local LEC (Windstream and both CO Switches are GTD-5) says they can't do it.

Anybody else seen this done before?

DJ
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Centrex between Central offices - 07/13/11 05:18 PM
It is done by transporting Centrex lines from the "home" switch to other wire centers, via T1's for example, by making those extensions foreign exchange lines.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Centrex between Central offices - 07/13/11 06:50 PM
While it CAN be done, they probably won't do it unless this is what we refer to in these parts as a "Blue Chip" account, using many Centrex lines (100+). The telco here (Verizon) makes exceptions to their policies based upon the monthly line revenue that they receive from the customer.

Your customer can always request the call transfer/three-way calling feature on all of their standard lines at both ends. Those features are sold at a state-regulated rate and will likely provide the transfer feature for a flat monthly rate per-line. The only drawback is that they will have to dial the full 7- or 10-digit number for the other location as opposed to three or four in order to transfer a call.

The upside of this is that they can transfer a call anywhere, not just to the other office. That might be something to think about when offering the customer their options in this situation.

It costs a lot more than Centrex-type features, but that is the only way to address this scenario without their having to pay for tie lines between central offices as Arthur mentioned. Centrex flexibility and cost is usually limited to locations within the same wire center (serving central office) region.

The GTD-5 is the functional equivalent of the 5ESS with regard to features. It isn't the switch itself; it is usually the limitations between them that are set forth by the carrier or the regulatory bodies that create these obstacles.
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Centrex between Central offices - 07/14/11 05:59 AM
I did some more research and came up with a feature that used to be called Multi-Location centrex when GTE was around.

They did offer it on all centrex packages from 2- 200+ lines.

You are right ED, They probably won't do it. They can barely get dial tone working here!

The customer aalready has Centrex service, and I can use the Centrex speed dialing cababilities to enter the other locations Pilot numbers to transfer with, but as usual that does tie up the NARS and CO lines.

Of course I could try and push voip but the way the data networks at the locations are set up and no dedicated QOS guarenteed data service between them, I doubt if they will go for the big dollars to make that happen.

Thanks

DJ
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help