atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: grider Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 02:34 PM
I have a customer using a Panasonic KTA-624 system in his rather large home. The main gate to the property is a very long distance from the house (mansion). When someone arrives at the gate they press a specific button on the keypad which will use a modem to access a specific phone line and dial the main number to the house. Inside the house the call comes in as a traditional incoming call. When the call is answered inside the house a code is entered on the keypad and the gate opens.

The problem the homeowner has is he can't open the gate until someone has opened the line from the gate location. In the current scenario if there was a circumstance inside the home where an ambulance was needed he would want to be able to open the gate by placing a call to the modem at the gate and then entering the code when it goes off hook. That way when the ambulance arrived the gate would already be open. This also would apply if the family were expecting numerous guests for dinner. The home owner could open the gate at 6:30 and eliminate the hassle of each guest calling the house.Currently the modem ignores incoming calls or at least it did for 17 rings.

Thanks for the future info!
Posted By: skip555 Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 03:58 PM
I used to maintain one for a customer it didn't work by modem , the phone line went through it like a rj31x

as I recall it did a call waiting type thing if the phone was in use and someone was trying to call from the gate .

you could also open the gate with a star code from any phone in the house and use a star code to close it .

also allowed temp passwords you could say set a password for a party , then delete that password when the party was over .

I don't recall the name right off , I'm sure one of the alarm guys will chime in .
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 04:19 PM
what I did was put a corby keypad at the gate, I connected the relay from the 624 to the RTE of the corby keypad. This way the csr could dial the code on any phone to open the gate. without a call being initialized first. You would also be able to add a programmable timer also connected to the RTE, this way they could set it to open at a certain time and then have it close. The big difference is my loop was only about 500', I am not sure how this would work at such a distance. As far as the ambulance they sell a unit to reacts to the siren and light of emergency vehicle's, and will open the gate automatically. some thing like this.

Would you be able to use something like a viking RAD-1A, it is a phone line powered remote access unit, you could put this at the gate, connect it to the RTE, and program a speed dial on the phones to access the unit, it then gives you either a normally open or closed contact which can open and close the gate
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 04:24 PM
dup post
Posted By: Kumba Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 05:35 PM
Nevermind, missed the part about the phone-line going through a PBX. Delete this post.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 05:46 PM
I think all you are asking is that the unit at the gate be able to pick up when it's CO number is called. Then the customer would be able to enter the code to open the gate as usual. Don't see why that should be a problem, I think most good gate controls will do this and the ones I have seen will. Check out Door King.

-Hal
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 06:11 PM
OOPS.. I may have confused things with the reference to the Panasonic KSU. The gate controller keypad has 1 phone line to it and that line is dedicated. When an arrival at the gate needs access basically the unit at the gate accesses that one phone line and speed dials the main number to the house. The problem is it is a one way communication. If a call is made from the house to that special gate number the unit has no answering active or a method of going off hook.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 06:20 PM
does the gate line start at the house and then feed out to the gate , or does the gate line come to a drop at the gate ?

dedicated line just for the gate seems a bit excessive if you have cable to house
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 06:41 PM
Since the gate modem is ignoring inbound calls, and it's dedicated ringdowns connect to the homephone as traditional calls: At least as a temporary solution, can he call his homephone from a cellphone, answer his own call, and enter the code from his cellphone to open the gate?
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 06:53 PM
Are there any spare pairs between the gate opener and the house?

I have used telephone cable pairs to open the gate from the house many times. If you have enough pairs you can do just about anything from the house that you can from the keypad.

Example: If you only have one pair between the opener and the house you can put it on a momentary switch and connect it to the RTE leads in the opener. Pressing the switch will open the gate for the amount of time set in the opener.

Also, many openers have wireless remote ability just like garage door openers if the distance isn't too far.
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 07:02 PM
Skip...The line is delivered to the house along with the others and then travels underground out to the gate. That specific line actually never enters the house. Excessive? In my world , yes but in their world it is a $20 a month phone line. We are talking about a family that donated a hospital to the area. Not just the land it is built on but the whole damn thing all it needed when finished was staff.

5E-You have the right idea but the call between the cell and the house wouldn't interact with the line to the gate since it is independent.

Since the gate will open when the circuit is open I would like to simply program a speed dial key on phones in the house that include pauses to wait for the gate device to answer. NOOOOOOO, thats way to easy, I gotta get the darn thing to answer somehow.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 07:16 PM
I gotta get the darn thing to answer somehow.

Well, who makes it? Lets start from there. And like I said, rather than screwing with this replace it with something that does what you want. Sounds like it would be pocket change for your customer.

-Hal
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 07:19 PM
Bobby...I'm sure there are spare pairs to the gate. I know it is an independent 4 pair leaving the interface box on side of the house. As far as distance, long long way. It is so long there is a scenic overlook stopping point midway.

Hal... your on it! I'm hoping the device such as a Door King has a dip switch or something to turn on answering.
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 07:27 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:

Well, who makes it? Lets start from there. And like I said, rather than screwing with this replace it with something that does what you want. Sounds like it would be pocket change for your customer.

-Hal
I'll know the answer to that Monday. My security contact will meet me there then. Sorry I didn't know before posting. I'm not to keen on other folks messin with my stuff so I don't get into the security guys stuff without him there.

Your right it is pocket change for the guy. Sadly that puts him in a bad spot as far as needs like this. No one will service his stuff, everyone wants to turn a standard service call into a small fortune.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 08:16 PM
I'll bet when the security contact gets there the spare pairs are going to suffice if all your customer wants to do is open the gate without an incoming call.

I'm curious, is the gate area covered by any surveillance cameras?
Posted By: Kumba Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/29/07 08:49 PM
Try AAS PhoneLink 50. It piggy-backs to a CO line and sends out FXS upstream. Will intercept outbound codes on the line from a phone in the house, as well as initiate calls upstream when someone dials in.

Not sure if this is what you want, but it sounds better then what you got.

Would let you do speed-dial codes. Not sure how you will handle the alternating incoming ring tho.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 06/30/07 06:10 AM
The Viking W-1000 door box will allow 24 AWG loop length over 6300 feet
Posted By: slik4x4 Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 07/02/07 11:49 AM
you might also look at UPB controllers. this will work very well. i would first look at using the spare pair of phone lines as mentioned. the upb systems use the power lines to send the signal. it works very well.

good luck

sam
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 07/02/07 02:53 PM
Well the gate itself is a Door King. After rooting around in the bushes I discovered there isn't a phone line to it after all. The call box rings down to an extension group in the house. When the call is answered inside the house they press "9" to open the gate. The Panasonic system inside the house does not have a door controller unit. It will soon thanks to Ken (KLD).
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 07/02/07 04:26 PM
Originally posted by grider:
Well the gate itself is a Door King.
I disagree, grider. It turns out that YOU are the Door King, and not the gate! :toast: Ken!
Posted By: grider Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 07/02/07 06:26 PM
You guessed it Mike. Can't open the gate from inside the house unless someone is actually at the gate calling in. On the way out you can open the gate if you have a wireless opener in your vehicle. This is one of the problems. If a house guest is on the way out they wouldn't have an opener so the home owner would have to drive up there with them and use his opener.

Thanks for everyones assistance. I'll be installing a door controller (Thanks to KLD). I have 3 available pairs to work with between the gate and the house. The door controller will connect to what Bobby referred to as the RTE leads. (Still wonder what that stands for). All future questions I'll throw down in the Panasonic category.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Gate Opening via phone line - 07/02/07 07:09 PM
RTE = Request To Exit.
But there should have been a magnetic "wand" placed in the ground about 25 feet from the gate (towards the house) next to the driveway that would detect the running engine and would cause the gate to open when a vehicle approaches the gate on the way out.

It sounds like there were a lot of things left out on the original installation of the gate opener.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help