atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Madlife Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 02/10/11 01:38 PM
I recent got a job at a start up company as a systems admin, and knew that I would be programming phones but did not expect to be getting involved with the loudspeaker system. I am not a telecom person so I need some help

We have a bogen PCM2000 loudspeaker system, and executives want to have a buzzer for shift changes, breaks, and lunches. Total of 15 per day. If we add a Talk-back-module we can get 8. So maybe 2 modules? still waiting on the vendor for that..

Since its a startup company they are very tight on money. I was researching if we could use a "Background Music" input to do this. We have electrical engineers on site that said they could rig a timer with a tone output if I can find a way to interface it with the loudspeaker.

Could this be an easier shortcut? I was looking at #2 on this link: https://www.bogen.com/support/drawings/pdfs/PCM2000_Bkgd_Music.pdf

and it looked like it would be pretty simple to wire our timer, and instead of putting it to a speaker, put it to the Background music source.

Sound about right?
Posted By: metelcom Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 02/10/11 02:01 PM
That sounds like it would work. Viking makes a timer/tone unit that would work for you.
CTG-1
Posted By: tim10 Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 02/10/11 02:46 PM
The PCM2000 seems to have an input for sending a tone to designated speakers. Short EM/SC to GND at the appropriate time and a tone of your choice goes to the zone(s) of your choice.

The Viking CTG-1 will work for you as the time base, as it has 2 contact closures you could use to trigger the Bogen. But really any time clock that can be programmed for certain times of day with a contact closure will work.

The programming of the Bogen is done using a telephone you connect to it, or through your telephone system if the two are connected together.

All of the manuals for hookup and programming are online.

In a nutshell, it sounds like you can do this with existing equipment except for the time clock, which you could buy or as you have mentioned, have an on-site engineer build for you.
Posted By: Madlife Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 02/11/11 06:04 AM
Thanks, guys. I was even looking at taking a audio out from a PC and wiring it in with a timed task more or less as a trial..

I'm not sure what you mean by a contact closure, but I have to go chase down our electrical guy.

The bogen is tied into our phone system. I need to skim through the manuals on how to program it.
Posted By: Owain Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 06/21/11 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Madlife:
Thanks, guys. I was even looking at taking a audio out from a PC and wiring it in with a timed task more or less as a trial..

I'm not sure what you mean by a contact closure, but I have to go chase down our electrical guy.

The bogen is tied into our phone system. I need to skim through the manuals on how to program it.
If you want to go down the software route then there are various free/paid for 'school bell' or 'church bell' ringing programmes that will play sound files at specific times/days. Having the capability for speech enables 'message of the day' to be broadcast to employees, eg health and safety reminders.
https://download.cnet.com/SchoolBell/3000-2350_4-10664966.html

A 'contact closure' is just a switch/relay as your paging system may need a push-to-talk switch operated.
If you don't know what a contact closure is your in over your head.
Originally posted by Jim Baldwin:
If you don't know what a contact closure is your in over your head.
Actually, since a CTG-1 is an audio device, contact closures are only for the override tones.

Wiring a CTG-1 is pretty straightforward and programming is fairly clear.

Carl
Posted By: 6string Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 06/22/11 04:33 PM
I second the CTG-1. I've used them in the past and they work well and are easy to program.
How do I physically connect the PCM2000 to the CTG-1?
I just want use the CTG-1 as the master clock sync device for the Bogen PCM2000/PCM-TIM.
Posted By: BPSBTech1 Re: Bogen PCM2000 - adding a shift buzzer - 06/12/17 11:03 AM
I know this thread is old, but I am now faced with the same situation, only in a school setting. @Madlife, did you ever get this device to work? If so, how did you connect to the Bogen unit?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by BPSBTech1
I know this thread is old...@Madlife, did you ever get this device to work?

Madlife has only posted twice in this forum and hasn't been seen since, So I wouldn't expect a reply.

This tread is OLD as you have noted. It is better to make a fresh post than tagging on to the outdated.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help