atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Ben Ludke 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/29/16 04:37 PM
I Finally got my ITT 501A KSU up and running with W.E. 400H CKTs. Everything works fine except Line 5. I get no light nor signal, except when I select the line key and ring it I get a audible ringing signal. I've tried several different line cards.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/29/16 09:16 PM
You need to go back and re-write your remarks in a way that we can trouble-shoot logically.

"I get no light nor signal" means...what? What kind of "signal"? Did you mean "I get no light or DIAL TONE" ?

"Audible ringing signal" Is there any other kind?

Are you using a common audible wiring arrangement?

How many telephones do you have connected?

Do you hear dial tone at the 5T and 5R terminals in the KSU?

If you pop the cover of a phone, do you hear dial tone at the 5T and 5R terminals on the key?

"except when I select the line key and ring it I get a audible ringing signal."

How do you mean "select the line key and ring it"?

Now, as to lamps, can you ground the A lead for line 5 at the KSU and hear the relay in the line card operating? Does a test lamp connected right at the 5LG and 5L terminals light when you do this?
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 12:48 AM
sorry about that I don't know where I left my mind lately... I have only one phone so far. I'm using the common audible arrangement. when I press line 5 I get no dial tone or light. When I ring the line from my merlin pbx, The test light and the interrupter does not activate. if I press the line key and pick up the receiver i can hear a ringing signal.

hope that helps.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 12:55 AM
Sounds like an open A lead.

As Arthur suggested, open the KSU and short the Black/Brown pair - the light should come on. If it doesn't, remove the station wiring and try again. If it still doesn't, then the internal KSU cabling is open or has been removed.

Very often line 5 was used for an Intercom. 401 B Intercom and Dial Intercoms did not need an A lead. Perhaps it was "stolen" for some other use.

If the lamp does light, then try shorting the line from inside the set.

As far as hearing ringing signal, but not dial tone, you might be "off half a pair on the cut down". Double check your wiring.

Sam
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 01:17 AM
I was able to short the line from inside the KSU but not on the set. I have also checked the wiring to the phone and everything seems to be fine.
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 01:31 AM
I also forgot the telephone set I have is a NOS ITT 564
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 01:49 AM
Shorting things is not a reliable method of testing telephone circuits. You need to use a test set.

Plug a single-ended 25-pair cable with a male Amphenol plug into the cable that serves the telephone in question. Then test the 13th pair (Bk/Gr) with a test set. If you do not hear dial tone, (and assuming that you really ***did*** punch down the Bk/Gr correctly at the KSU) then you have an open pair in the cable. The chances against this are about 1,000,000,000 to one. The chances that you did not punch the pair down correctly are about 1 in 25.
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 02:32 AM
I figured it out. On block C, The 66 Block teeth were not grabbing the cable. Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Ludke
I figured it out. On block C, The 66 Block teeth were not grabbing the cable. Thanks for all the help.
on line 5 tip/ring
Posted By: Silversam Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 03/30/16 02:21 PM
Glad it worked out.

Sam
Posted By: Ben Ludke Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 04/04/16 02:03 AM
I spoke too soon. I get the line to ring but I can't take it off hook. I still do not get dial tone. I narrowed the problem down to the inside the KSU. I don't get a dial tone on the "A" block.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 501A KSU Line 5 issues - 04/05/16 01:40 PM
AS I recall, when you bring Dial Tone in to the KSU and punch it down on (whichever block) it goes into the 400 card on Pins 9 & 14 and comes out on pins 12 & 13.

Trace dial tone, one side at a time from the punch block to the card, then through the card, then down to the punch block.

You'll find your open wire.

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help