web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#599310 03/29/16 12:37 PM
OP Offline
I Finally got my ITT 501A KSU up and running with W.E. 400H CKTs. Everything works fine except Line 5. I get no light nor signal, except when I select the line key and ring it I get a audible ringing signal. I've tried several different line cards.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You need to go back and re-write your remarks in a way that we can trouble-shoot logically.

"I get no light nor signal" means...what? What kind of "signal"? Did you mean "I get no light or DIAL TONE" ?

"Audible ringing signal" Is there any other kind?

Are you using a common audible wiring arrangement?

How many telephones do you have connected?

Do you hear dial tone at the 5T and 5R terminals in the KSU?

If you pop the cover of a phone, do you hear dial tone at the 5T and 5R terminals on the key?

"except when I select the line key and ring it I get a audible ringing signal."

How do you mean "select the line key and ring it"?

Now, as to lamps, can you ground the A lead for line 5 at the KSU and hear the relay in the line card operating? Does a test lamp connected right at the 5LG and 5L terminals light when you do this?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
sorry about that I don't know where I left my mind lately... I have only one phone so far. I'm using the common audible arrangement. when I press line 5 I get no dial tone or light. When I ring the line from my merlin pbx, The test light and the interrupter does not activate. if I press the line key and pick up the receiver i can hear a ringing signal.

hope that helps.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Sounds like an open A lead.

As Arthur suggested, open the KSU and short the Black/Brown pair - the light should come on. If it doesn't, remove the station wiring and try again. If it still doesn't, then the internal KSU cabling is open or has been removed.

Very often line 5 was used for an Intercom. 401 B Intercom and Dial Intercoms did not need an A lead. Perhaps it was "stolen" for some other use.

If the lamp does light, then try shorting the line from inside the set.

As far as hearing ringing signal, but not dial tone, you might be "off half a pair on the cut down". Double check your wiring.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
I was able to short the line from inside the KSU but not on the set. I have also checked the wiring to the phone and everything seems to be fine.

OP Offline
I also forgot the telephone set I have is a NOS ITT 564

Shorting things is not a reliable method of testing telephone circuits. You need to use a test set.

Plug a single-ended 25-pair cable with a male Amphenol plug into the cable that serves the telephone in question. Then test the 13th pair (Bk/Gr) with a test set. If you do not hear dial tone, (and assuming that you really ***did*** punch down the Bk/Gr correctly at the KSU) then you have an open pair in the cable. The chances against this are about 1,000,000,000 to one. The chances that you did not punch the pair down correctly are about 1 in 25.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
I figured it out. On block C, The 66 Block teeth were not grabbing the cable. Thanks for all the help.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ben Ludke
I figured it out. On block C, The 66 Block teeth were not grabbing the cable. Thanks for all the help.
on line 5 tip/ring

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Glad it worked out.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 211 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024