atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: B Cannon Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 03:26 PM
How do you wire the jacks? I wired them to 568b standard and they did not work. Also from the KSU it goes from a patch cord to a patch pannel then to the station. 5 x 9 with 12 and `12d and 18 and 18d phones.

[This message has been edited by B Cannon (edited May 20, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by B Cannon (edited May 20, 2005).]
Posted By: KENB Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 03:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by B Cannon:
How do you wire the jacks? I wired them to 568b standard and they did not work.</font>
Posted By: KENB Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 03:34 PM
what system and and phones ??
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 03:52 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KENB:
what system and and phones ??</font>

5 x 9 with 12 and `12d and 18 and 18d phones.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 04:30 PM
What type of termination tool did you use?

Take a small screw diver and re-seat the pairs. If your pacth pannel is a 568 A then you need to make it all A.
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 05:17 PM
I have connectivity between the patch pannel and the jack. It just is not communicating from the KSU to the phone.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Station Specialties:
What type of termination tool did you use?

Take a small screw diver and re-seat the pairs. If your pacth pannel is a 568 A then you need to make it all A.
</font>
Posted By: capitol Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 05:34 PM
Make sure your jacks are the same as the patch panel and cord, 568A or 568B.

------------------
| Capitol Communications | Telephone Systems
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 05:41 PM
My jacks were Levinton 6p6c. The patch pannel was 568 punched b,o,g,b.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by capitol:
Make sure your jacks are the same as the patch panel and cord, 568A or 568B.

</font>
Posted By: capitol Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 06:55 PM
Try reversing the orange & green at the jack.

------------------
| Capitol Communications | Telephone Systems
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 06:56 PM
plug a phone directly into the phone system, if it works there. then it is your cabling.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 06:57 PM
"My jacks were Levinton 6p6c. The patch pannel was 568 punched b,o,g,b."

The problem is with your jacks. Either put a 8-pin 568-B jack in place of the 6-pin USOC jacks, or swap the Green and Orange pairs at the jack.
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 07:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
"My jacks were Levinton 6p6c. The patch pannel was 568 punched b,o,g,b."

The problem is with your jacks. Either put a 8-pin 568-B jack in place of the 6-pin USOC jacks, or swap the Green and Orange pairs at the jack.
</font>

Ok...I did that and now they work but my polarity is not correct. My tester shows red instead of green. What pairs do I start switching???
Posted By: nectec Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 08:42 PM
The first pair w/bl would be the pair to reverse for correct polarity. The Avaya Partner 18D phones are not polarity sensitive. I would reverse them at the patch panel unless you want to visit and open each jack.
Posted By: KENB Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/20/05 08:55 PM
it sounds like u have 8 wires 568b at one end and 6 wires at the other or jack end
what colors are you using at the jack end ?
it would seem to me that u would be using the blues and oranges in the jack end
on the middle 4 pins /and a 4 wire jumper in to the box it should work
if your using greens and oranges at the jack
it would seem to me you now have to put the greens and oranges in pins 3-4-5-6 at the patch panel with 4-5 to t/r of jack
and other 2 wires ? to 3-6
or change the jack ends to match the blues and orange of the patch panel

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited May 20, 2005).]
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/21/05 02:23 AM
On the patch pannel I had to reverse the white orange already just to get connectivity.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nectec:
The first pair w/bl would be the pair to reverse for correct polarity. The Avaya Partner 18D phones are not polarity sensitive. I would reverse them at the patch panel unless you want to visit and open each jack.</font>
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/21/05 02:27 AM
I am using w/b and w/o punched on the blue and green posts of the patch pannel. On the jacks I punched the blue, orange, and green to a 6p6c. On the pannel I punched the blue correctly and the orange backwaards on the green posts.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KENB:
it sounds like u have 8 wires 568b at one end and 6 wires at the other or jack end
what colors are you using at the jack end ?
it would seem to me that u would be using the blues and oranges in the jack end
on the middle 4 pins /and a 4 wire jumper in to the box it should work
if your using greens and oranges at the jack
it would seem to me you now have to put the greens and oranges in pins 3-4-5-6 at the patch panel with 4-5 to t/r of jack
and other 2 wires ? to 3-6
or change the jack ends to match the blues and orange of the patch panel

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited May 20, 2005).]
</font>
Posted By: KENB Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/21/05 03:46 AM
search on the internet for leviton 6p6c
the jacks you are using .it will come up showing the usoc code and the pins 1-2-3-4-5-6- of your jack
its sounds like you said you put the blues on 1-2
the oranges on 3-4 and the greens on 5-6
you need to get whatever is on pins 3-4 of your jack to the blues on your panel and 2-5
to the oranges on your panel
good luck
if that doesnt work for you put the panel back the way it belongs and change the jacks to 568b
if this is on a cust site it has to be wastin a lot of time and may be cheaper to change the jacks
Posted By: skip555 Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/27/05 11:12 AM
i wire everything to 568a then the jack can be voice or data
Posted By: pacecomm Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/27/05 08:03 PM
hey guys iam i missing something here. What im hearing is he is wiring using voice jacks (6 conductor) on the one side and 8 conductor on the other end 568a scheme. as long as he observes the color code he will have no problem with continuity and as was also mentioned polarity will be no issue. they wont be working ethernet.
Posted By: justbill Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/27/05 09:10 PM
You're right, 568a or b no matter. Have to have pins 4&5 on 8 pin to 3&4 on 6 pin and 3&6 on 8 pin to 2&5 on 6pin. So W/bl pair on center pins as always than w/org or w/gr pair on the other two, as long as they are the same. Be less confussing for them to just use 4 or 6 pin on each end.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/28/05 12:10 AM
His original message says the patch panel is wired 568-B, while the 6-pin jacks are USOC (cause that's the only way 6-pin jacks come).

The white/blue pair is OK in this senario, but later he states that the polarity is reversed. Either his tester is incorrect, or he can't tell Tip from Ring.

The 2nd pair of the USOC is White/Orange, but at the patch panel, that's on pins 1 and 2 of the 8-pin jack, while the 3rd pair of the USOC jack, being White/Green is sitting on pins 3 and 6 of the patch panel.

If he swaps the Orange and Green pairs at the patch panel, he's finally got 2-pair USOC working, but now his 3rd pair of the USOC (pin 1 and 6) are sitting on 1 and 2 of the patch panel. He would need to move the White/Orange conductor of the I/W to the Orange/White punchdown of the patch panel, and the Orange/White conductor to the White/Brown punchdown. That leaves the White/Brown pair to be cut off, or left un-terminated at the patch panel.

All in all, a major mistake, using different wiring schemes at either end of a "structured wiring" system.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/28/05 05:37 AM
Hire someone who will do it right!!
Posted By: gkar Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/28/05 06:04 AM
Buy the right jacks to match the patch panel.
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/28/05 07:53 PM
I ran into this same problem a few days ago. 568b will not work. Even though on the actual phone system they have the larger plugs that will work with the RJ45 plugs, they do not terminate 568b. You will need to terminate the jacks USOC. The pinout will be below.....

3 - White/Orange
4 - Blue/White
5 - White/Blue
6 - Orange/White
Posted By: hbiss Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/29/05 05:54 PM
568B will work just fine as will 568A or USOC. The kinda important thing is you have to do the same thing at both ends whatever you choose!

-Hal
Posted By: martin Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 05/31/05 09:19 AM
i agree with upstateny
hire a professional you are wasting your own
precious time. most IT guys i know can,t afford to learn a new profession on their IT
gig The stuff they trained and hired for for tend to keep them as busy as they can stand.
m
Posted By: pacecomm Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 06/02/05 02:58 AM
I agree pay someone to do it right with the correct connector. you need to understand that the physical wiring may be used for voice or ethernet applications . not the way your doing it. may be this will be of a help. https://www.siemon.com/us/standards/13-25_common_outlet_configurations.asp

Pay someone- good luck
Posted By: B Cannon Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 06/09/05 03:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I was forced to use some of the existing cabling that was in the building. ie the 568 patch pannel. This was an old pannel and not marked A or B. The only thing it had was the bogb color code to punch it down with. The configuration of the system went as follows. 509 to new patch cable into 568 patch pannel. From there it was cat 5e cable to new 6p6c jack. The patch pannel was the culpret and in hind site I should have been able to figure it out on my own. I just got frustrated and kept trying different things until it worked. I never did get the polarity lite in my harris butt set to go green. The problem probably was in front of the dmark as I did not have a green lite there either. I really appreciate all of the tips that were given and the amount of time that you all spent in answereing my question.

Thanks!!!
Posted By: gkar Re: Ayaya Cabling Questions??? - 06/09/05 06:29 PM
568A, 568B, USOC, the wires don't know or care what color they are painted. Keep them strait and follow code to make it easier for the next guy.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help