atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Joefish711 Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 02/16/06 10:56 AM
Hey all~

Got a Partner ACS R7.0, and I'm trying to get remote administration to work, but it doesn't want to recognize the COM port. It only wants to go through the modem...any ideas what the issue may be?

~Joefish711
My cable set up is:
USB->Serial (SIIG Adapter); Serial->RJ45 (Cisco cable).
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 02/16/06 12:15 PM
I come out of the 9 pin serial port of my PC with a 9-pin to 25-pin cable with a 355AF adapter on it. Then use a either net cable from the 355AF to the admin port on the Partner c/u.

We had a tech that his PC didn't have a serial port and he tried the USB to serial adapter and he never did get it to work.
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot
I love how the Avaya troubleshooting documentation does not put THEIR product within the scope of the troubleshoot. Always user's end. Suppose that's to frustrate people into signing up for their exclusive support.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 02/16/06 02:18 PM
You have to use a 355AF or AM adapter to adapt the 25 pin serial to an 8 pin cable. 355A adapters are available from Avaya, what you have isn't going to work.

How you get to 25 pin from your 9 pin serial port is your business- 9 pin to 25 pin AT adapters work as do cables with suitable connectors on each end.

You can use a regular patch cord between the 355 and the RS232 port or a D8W line cord, it's not critical, only the straight through wiring is.

Get this right first before condemning the USB to serial converter.

I love how the Avaya troubleshooting documentation does not put THEIR product within the scope of the troubleshoot. Always user's end. Suppose that's to frustrate people into signing up for their exclusive support.

What's there to troubleshoot as far as a RS232 port goes? If you can't connect to it it's because YOU are doing something wrong.

-Hal
Posted By: kholt Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/27/08 02:28 PM
I have the same problem as joefish711. I tried w/usb adapter to 355AF adapter to a straight through network cable and I cannot connect. I then tried from another PC direct from com port to 355AF and same results. I tried the LAN and RS232 port. Same negative results. Are the com port settings critical or are XP defaults o.k.?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/27/08 03:05 PM
I'm going to make a big assumption here and say that you are using Partner ACS administration to connect with?

By the way, the LAN port does nothing (yet).

-Hal
Posted By: kholt Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 05:05 AM
Yes, I am using Partner ACS R7 PC Administration Release 7.0 Version 7.0.1.1.

So obviously the RS232 port is the one to use.

COM port settings?

Thanks,

Karl
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 05:38 AM
Works for me and I didn't change anything. You are using the ADMIN port on the ACS right?

-Hal
Posted By: kholt Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 06:21 AM
I do not have a Admin port, just the LAN and RS232 port.

Karl
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 07:36 AM
Are you trying to administer the processor or voicemail :confused:

There is an Admin port on the front of the R7 processor. In a 5 module holder, the processor is located smack dab in the middle (Slot #3). LAN and RS232 ports are found on a voicemail module.
Posted By: kholt Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 08:39 AM
Trying to administer VM. I cannot connect through the COM port.

Karl
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 09:12 AM
Well, ok. Lets start with using the right software. That would be Partner Messaging Administration. You administer the messaging system through the ethernet LAN port either via your network from any PC running Partner Messaging Administration or with a crossover cable directly from a PC.

To change the messaging system IP you need to connect the the RS-232 port as you were doing and use Hyperterminal to communicate.

-Hal
Joefish711 started this post. Did you resolve your connection problems?
If this is an R7 messaging, you can change the IP on your pc to the default IP of the voicemail (adding 1 to the last octet) and change the IP to something on your subnet. If it is older, you will not get the option of changing an IP through the web based version.

KHolt, if you need assistance, I would start another thread. Or let me know, I could come out and get it to work for you.
Posted By: kholt Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 11:29 AM
I get the LAN port. I am assuming I can connect with an ethernet cable to the switch. The pin out would be the same on each end.

When you say a "crossover cable directly from a PC, is this a straight through cable or a "crossover" with a different pin out on each end?
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R7.0 Remote Admin COM Issue - 10/28/08 02:46 PM
kholt, You may want to start a new topic with your own question.
The original poster of the thread was trying to connect to the ACS processor not the VM.

Also, you will get results quicker to state exactly what release phone system and VM you have.

Oh, and welcome to the board.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help