atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: hudib Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/25/06 01:13 PM
Hello,

I have a ACS R3 with Mail VS R1.

Is there some way that with call waiting, when someone calls and the first line is busy, it would beep line 2 or indicate that another call is coming in on line 2?

So basically ... I am on line 1 talking to someone, and another person calls my companies number, but since i am talking to someone on that number, it would redirect to line 2 (its own number) and ring there instead?

thanks
Posted By: dexman Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/25/06 01:25 PM
The local service provider controls call hunting.

If the first telephone line is busy and someone dials that same number, the telephone company would send the call to the 2nd telephone line in the hunt sequence that had been established.

Once the call comes in on that 2nd line, how people are alerted depends on how the system is programmed.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 10:12 AM
Is there some way that with call waiting...

Yeah, get rid of call waiting and have line 1 hunt to line 2. Then when line 1 is busy and another call comes into it it will ring on line 2.

Before you ask how you can make your Partner system do this, your system does not handle the hunting. You set this up with your service provider (telco). Just tell them that you want to eliminate call waiting and have line 1 hunt to line 2.

-Hal
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 12:39 PM
You can also have line 1 hunt to line 2 and add cw on line two (remove it from line one).

That way if line one is busy it will roll to line two and if line 2 is busy you will get a call waiting tone on line two. The only trouble is if you are using vm with call fwd busy don't answer you will need two calls on line two before a third goes to vm.
Posted By: hudib Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 01:04 PM
Ok great!

The reason i asked this: Whenever i am on the phone with a person and another call comes in, the system beeps twice to let me know, i switch over to the second caller, and the first caller gets disconnected. So i thought that maybe the acs system could handle something like switching to line 2.

i should have mentioned that earlier, maybe there is another solution for me?

thanks!
Posted By: dtmf Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 01:33 PM
If you have call waiting from your CO provider then you shouldn't use the system call waiting and vis-a-versa. And do you have a Recall/Flash button set up on your phone, and check the timer. It shouldn't cut the first caller off.
Posted By: Catalyst Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 02:31 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but can I do this with my home phone service? Would comcast allow me to hunt line 1 to line 2, if so that would really be quite convenient, I hate the phone company call waiting: its inconvenient when you have a phone system (id much rather have the call xfered to line 2 where VM could grab it or whatever). If call hunting is available for residential service, does anyone know how much it costs? Thanks again
Posted By: hbiss Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 02:42 PM
So i thought that maybe the acs system could handle something like switching to line 2...I should have mentioned that earlier, maybe there is another solution for me?

No. Reread what I said above about how hunting works. It cannot be done by your system, ONLY the phone company.

Would comcast allow me to hunt...

Well, Comcast is a cable company so don't expect them to even know what you are talking about. :bang:

-Hal
Posted By: Catalyst Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 06:19 PM
haha you make a good point, well I guess im stuck with comcasts lousy service..... very much like hitting my head against a brick wall..lol
Can Comcast even bring you more than one phone number? Like if you wanted a seperate line for your kids? If so, get "Call Forward on Busy" from the 1st line to the 2nd line from Comcast.
Posted By: Catalyst Re: Switch to Line 2 when Line 1 busy - 05/26/06 07:19 PM
Yes, Comcast does provide two phone numbers, of course we had two phone #s before comcast became comcast.... it was ATT before I think. I dunno what their newer services are like. TTT, you reccomend that I just call them and request the Call forward on Busy feature from Line 1 to Line 2? Seems very reasonable, ill have to try it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help