atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mdaniel Partner ACS R.7 - 07/11/06 05:49 PM
Has any one else had issues with them that had the PC card 12-box mail.

We installed a R.7 a few months back that will stop seeing that it has a mail card in PC slot 1 or 2 in the control unit. Power down the processor and back up and bang there it is again.

And when I say stop seeing it..........I mean you dail icom 777 it just rings and rings. Have checked and ext 78 and 79 are the only ext's assigned to #505.

The system is: 1-5-slot carrier, 1-R-7 control unit, 1-308ec card, 1-PCMCIA card 12-box VM and 7 new style 18-D euro style phones.

Thanks,
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/11/06 05:58 PM
I have zero experience (and headaches :banana: ) with the R7. I would ask though, did you reset the messaging card before you used it? Don't know if it is the cause of your problem but if you didn't it's worth a try and is something you should always do anyway.

-Hal
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/11/06 06:50 PM
Yes,. we always reset the VM and the control unit.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/11/06 07:29 PM
I'am about to take your stands on the R.7's Hal.

We have more trouble with the 7's than all of the 1-6's together.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 06:28 AM
we have stopped selling the R7 until they get it taken care of. The earlier ones seem to be good but lately they are having all sorts of problems. We are going with the R6 until Avaya gets there act together.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 02:44 PM
Thanks Russ and Hal.

I think we are going to start the same policy until they get the kinks worked out.

Have you guys heard if there are going to be a R.8 or do you think they will do away with the Partner..............like they did the Magix?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:11 PM
The Partner will always be around, hopefully bigger. Contrary to popular belief not everyone wants or needs the IP Office which is the upgrade path now from the Magix.

As for the R8 I don't know. They should take the R7 off the market until the bugs are worked out, then maybe bring it back as the R8. Then again it may go the way of the Endeavor which was in a similar position of infamy. The well established R6 can do everything the R7 can do and offers an upgrade path from previous releases. Why bother with two competing products especially since the R7 is such a dud and requires so much work? Cut your loses.

Maybe the R8 should be a software upgrade to the R6 that offers more capacity.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:17 PM
I saw a post where the author thought that the Avaya One-X was going to be the eventual replacement for the Partner ACS.

It is my hope that Avaya keeps the Partner ACS for small applications where good VOIP service would not be practical.
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:21 PM
The Partner is great for customers that just need the basics. The problem with the One-X is that their is no analog capability. I too am trying to get my sales people to quit selling the R7, but they just don't llisten.
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:22 PM
If I could present Avaya with a wish list, my top request would be to get the background noise level down more.

You can always hear a small amount of "hash" in the background that you don't get on digital sets.

Even though the Partner uses analog audio, there is always room for improvement.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:23 PM
One-X? Yeah, try and sell that to the mom and pop businesses that are the mainstay of my work. Many of them don't even have computers.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:29 PM
You can always hear a small amount of "hash" in the background...

You are the first person I have ever heard comment on that. Then again my hearing starts rolling off at around 8Khz so I wouldn't notice anyway.

-Hal
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 03:51 PM
I have heard the one-x is a replacement for the Partner also.

I would have never thought and was even told by our contact at Avaya three years that the Magix would never go away. I think the Magix was/is one of the most stable and reliable systems on the market.

I sure hope they don't kill the Partner also, because we too have a lot of customers that don't even know what a PC or LAN is.
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 04:46 PM
Hi Hal,

I know that the background noise is barely audible and most people don't even realize its there unless you draw their attention to it.

The office I work at has a Nortel Meridian system which, I believe, is digital just like the Merlin Magix.

Spending 8+ hours a day talking on a digital phone system has made it easier to notice the low level background hash on the Partner's analog ports. :shrug:

If money were no object and I didn't run the risk of getting by butt kicked for changing phone systems when the Partner ACS I support works fine, I'd spring for some of the last new Merlin Magix gear (R4 processor, 800 GS/LS-ID, 024 TDL, 4424, 4424LD and Avaya Merlin Messaging), head to the woodshed, get it programmed and swap it out.

Oh well. smile
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/12/06 04:47 PM
Gotta love those syntax errors. I shoulda typed "Getting my butt kicked". (lol)
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 05:09 AM
The more headaches I have with the Partner, the more I am learning to love the NEC. Unfortunately, I don't control the sales team, so there's little I can do...
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 06:34 AM
Spending 8+ hours a day talking on a digital phone system has made it easier to notice the low level background hash on the Partner's analog ports.

Common problem with the Partner is the station ports crap out and become noisy. If the noise is noticeable I wouldn't consider it normal. Like I say, you are the first person to mention noise outside of customers reporting it as a problem. So in their cases they know it wasn't always that way.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 07:00 AM
Yup. I've heard what can happen when "good ports go bad".

This really doesn't seem to be a bad port issue though as I hear this on the Partner ACS at the house, the one I maintain out in the field and the Merlin 410 that backs up that Partner ACS.

I donated a brand new Magix system to a camp out in CA. They had a Partner ACS R3 and were interested in upgrading. During one of my phone calls with the LCON, I mentioned the background noise observation.

Our next phone call, the LCON said that the digital phones do seem quieter than the analog/hybrid Partner phones. :shrug:
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 10:41 AM
I mentioned the background noise observation.

There is a lot to be said about the power of suggestion. The high cost of audiophile equipment is based on it.

I don't think what you describe is even an analog/digital thing but rather an equipment design issue. I can clip my buttset on a POTS line, break dialtone or access quiet battery and hear just as much hiss. True, Partner does have a little digital hash riding on it but again, that's a design issue. Apparently it wasn't objectionable to the engineers who designed it. Other systems are designed differently.

Another thing to consider too is that proximity to other equipment, particularly monitors will produce the same effect.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 01:19 PM
Now if I could only harness that power to get a well deserved raise! laugh

Still, I agree that the noise is primarily a function of how the Partner ACS processor was designed. I suppose there had to be some amount of compromise to keep the Partner's price down.

Ah yes.....high end audio. Reminds me of the great "Monster Cable" interconnect and speaker cable debates from several years ago. [Wish Julian Hirsch was still around frown ]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 02:23 PM
Well, since this thread is about dead anyway...
And as long as you mention Monster Cable- you're gonna love this- https://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm
Be sure to look around the site to see what other useful things they have.

If you ever had any doubt that people are stupid just remember that these guys probably do a great business catering to them.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 05:57 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is unbelievable! If you posted that link over in the Phone Booth forum, I'd like to see what the other techs have to say! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 06:09 PM
Dex - you can click on the icon of the paper and pencil to edit your posts!
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R.7 - 07/14/06 07:39 PM
I'll edit the first post. TTT, can you delete the now blank post for me?

Thanks!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help