atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PMCook 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 06:10 PM
Simple question - just aquired a new VS R5 card for an ACS 7 installation. Sales docs said it needs a 5 slot carrier. Is it safe to assume the 2 slot would work just as well? I've got a 5 slot in stock but it's a waste just for 2 cards, a 509 R7 and the VS R5.
Posted By: hbiss Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 06:15 PM
2 slot should work just fine, I know it will with the R6. Can't hurt to try. Keep in mind there are issues with the R7 and the VS R5.

-Hal
Posted By: PMCook Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 06:28 PM
What issues should I be aware of?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 06:49 PM
We just used a two-slot carrier for an emergency replacement that got hit by lightning the other day. The customer's third module was just for one additional line, so we got by until we could get back over to the site with a five-slot carrier.

The second module was a voice mail, and it worked just fine. There are tons of issues with the R7, but you will need to wait for additional responses to this post because I can't identify them specifically.
Posted By: hbiss Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 07:00 PM
There are reports of the VSR5 not being recognized by the processor. There is the DND issue where a call transferred to an extension with DND on will not go to it's voice mail but rather to the call coverage extension which usually means it ends up at 10. Avaya is supposed to have a patch but don't get your hopes up.

There are probably others that I haven't heard about or don't (want to) remember.

Basically this is just one of the very many R7 issues, not a problem with the Mail VS as you may think. If it were me I would replace the R7 with an R6, not the VM.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 07:25 PM
I would stay with the 5 card carrier. Spacing out the modules allows for better cooling. Also having those extra slots will allow you to expand if the need arises further down the line.
Posted By: txfoneman Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/14/06 10:07 PM
I found the r7 doesn't seem to like anything with it in a 2 slot ......

I even had problems with it being seen while programming/setup then not later in the day.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/15/06 07:37 AM
I see the remarks about the R7 having 'issues' with pretty much anything and everything. Is there anywhere that the issues and possible work-arounds are ALL listed? We sub for several different outfits and we have put in 3 R7's and so far,the users just want a dumb, square, key system. From the comments I've seen here, we apparently should be very thankful. John
Posted By: hbiss Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/15/06 09:20 AM
Don't think so. People are discovering new problems almost daily. The work around for all is to not use the R7. Seems whenever Avaya comes out with a patch to fix one problem it just screws something else up.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: 5 slot or 2 slot carrier - 07/15/06 03:12 PM
Sounds just like IP based phone systems. Fix one problem, create another one, incorporate the fix into an upgrade and sell it. Repeat entire process over & over. :shrug:
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help