atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: itac james Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 08:27 AM
Howdy,

Patner r.4.0 processor, mostly 3.0/3.1 206 modules, CA24 at x.10, 18D at x.10, 2500s elsewhere at motel, 2x24.

System functions intermittently. Module one lghts solid, then flashes, (slowly, then rapidly) and may slip back into functionality. otjher modules and processor light steady. Replacing module one does not change this intermittent functioning. User claims that when he plugs in the p/s for tyhe CA 24 it crashes his system. I have not determined any validity to this claim. System misfunctiuons even with ext.10 unplugged.

Any ideas about what is going on? Also, if processor is kaput: is there any way to copy over the programming to the new processor?

Thanks in advance,

JE
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 08:58 AM
Time to upgrade to an ACS. No, there is no way to copy translations but it shouldn't take an experienced tech more than a few minutes to start from scratch. All you have are SL phones in the rooms.

-Hal
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 09:57 AM
An ACS would work just fine for a small hotel however they may be using DXD for after hours Auto Attn. so you may have to include the price of a small PMV.
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 10:37 AM
Thanks for your replies,

Is DXD "direct dial", i.e.: Inbound callers can dial directly to an extension? This an essential function.

What is a PMV?

JE
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 11:07 AM
DXD = Direct eXtension Dial, and is a function of the Automated Attendant. "If you know your party's extension, you may dial it now."

DID = Direct Inward Dial, which is what you are referring to when you ask if people can call directly to an extension. And yes, the Partner ACS can do that. Are you able to do that with your old Partner II?

PMV = typo of PVM (Partner Voice Messaging)
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 11:45 AM
An ACS would work just fine for a small hotel however they may be using DXD

Umm, if they are using an old Partner II now, don't you think the ACS would offer the same functionality and then some?

-Hal
Posted By: jacktel Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 12:30 PM
The power supply knocking out system when ca 24 plugged. This sounds like wire issue,If power is introduced into ext. 10 port,this may be problem and toasting the port. You mentioned swapping cards, did old ext.10 port work in new location in system? I would try 1: check cable to ext. 10 jack, 2: swap out backplane.
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:01 PM
I am on site. The DXD function went to a loud clicking (user failed to tell me this).

Replaced processor. Am unable to raise CO dial tone with a "9". During testing, powered down system and when powered up had lost it's memory. Apparently the "new" procesor has a faulty memory support battery! This from a usually reputable supplier.

Any ideas of why "9" gives a busy tone? Two COL. Auto line selection is set to intercom and does give intyercom dial tone. Line three input a "Ring the system when the front door is opened" system from long ago. "Lines installed" program is set to 2. Access and restrictions have been checked. System is not set in hybrid mode.

Thanks for any help.

JE
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:03 PM
Why do people always think Partner problems are caused by the backplane? Aside from bad edge connectors (and that's obvious when you have to strong arm the mods to make it work) I have never seen one cause a problem.

As for this system, forget it, it's junk. And hopefully when it gets replaced the manager won't be the one handling maintenance.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:11 PM
The DXD function went to a loud clicking (user failed to tell me this).

Sounds like you know about as much as the manager. What kind of telephone installer are you?

That "loud clicking" is obviously the voice messaging hard drive gone south. Add a voice messaging system to your list to be replaced.

-Hal
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:22 PM
I can raise line one by dialling "801" and I can get line two by dialling "802".

"9" still results in a busy. Station is not locked and there is not a forced account code set. No restrictions are set. "9" is not on any disallow list.

Thanks,

JE

JE
Posted By: upstateny Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:27 PM
See if the lines are pooled. If so make sure the lines and and extensions are programmed appropriately. The DXD is a function built in to the Partner II KSU but requires the ASA/DXD card in the ACS.
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 04:28 PM
No need to be insulting. I've been doing this for 28 years.

Customer is using DXD on a 4.1 (was 4.0) processor. NO HARD DRIVE.
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 05:53 PM
I tend to agree with upgrading to a Partner ACS.

The ability to save configurations to a PC card along with having user replaceable batteries makes upgrading seem worth the effort.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/25/07 08:27 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting. It's just that your questions cause me to wonder if you really are a tech.

-Hal
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/26/07 11:18 AM
Mr. Hbiss,

Apology accepted.

Kindly iterate which questions or just how you see their presentation as indicating to you that I am an idiot (or worse an electrician). I, perhaps naievly, believe that the only stupid question is the one which you do not ask.

I service several different manufacturers' products and if I get stumped, in the interest of the customer I ask for help directly.

-------------------------------------------------

Others interested,

Thanks for your help.

As far as the system in question is concerned: The inability to raise CO dt from any extension was caused by "Auto Line Select" programming, which the customer wanted to be intercom dt for all stations. My error was in not knowing that for some unknown reason one must assign lines as well as the intercom link in "Auto line select".

As far as the backplane is concerned: replacing it appears to have solved the "module status lamp is dark, flashing, solid in turn" problem. This occured with the CA24 completely out of the picture. I finally replaced the 5-slot carrier with a brand new fancy looking Avaya unit after module #1 began flashing and the MLS18D at ext.10 began cutting in and out during programming (this with a new module #1 and new processor card). After changing out the flashing stopped and I was able to get on with programming (from the beginning again)and finish the repair.

So, now you have heard of a situation in which the backplane was somehow the source of the dysfunction.

As far as replacing this unit with an ACS: The customer is near to retirement and does not want to have to replace his system.
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/26/07 11:55 AM
Flash!

FYI: Just found that the installation docs. say "wall mounting of system display phones is not recommended". Why on earth not? The phone at ext 10 could be the source of trouble on the system.

Does any know or have refernce to information about the differences in capabilities between a r. 2.0 206 module and a r. 3.0 and 3.1?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 10/26/07 02:39 PM
Yes, a carrier with bad edge connectors will indeed cause the modules to give various indications on their LEDs and become intermittent or inoperative. The modules themselves as well as their PC board edge connector "fingers" can do that also. That is what I was referring to. I have heard others blame the carrier (backplane) for just about every other problem. In reality the Partner backplane is just edge connectors with PC board traces to interconnect them. There are no components on the board like some other systems. So there is not really much to go bad except what oxidation of the edge connector contacts caused by old age may cause. Old age is one of the main reasons for changing a carrier.

Wall mounting of display phones. Well, the only reason for that recommendation was because, with the older MLS phones especially, it was difficult to read the display. Funny though how they all were capable of being hung on a wall jack.

Are the 206 mods that you are talking about 206E or just plain 206 and do you know what that difference is? If they are 206s then the release would make a difference only if you were using them as a standalone (Baby Partner). If they are 206s and you are using them for expansion or 206Es then the release makes no difference other than perhaps indicating the age. Keep in mind also that many 206 and 206E mods are really not what they appear to be release wise because refurbishers swap PC boards and housings (that have the labels on them) to make something that works and looks decent. There is no real way to tell that I'm aware of what the release of a 206E or EC mod is other than by what it says on the label.

As far as replacing this unit with an ACS: The customer is near to retirement and does not want to have to replace his system.

If it were me I would simply tell the customer to tell the new owner to give me a call and walk away. If I were to spend the amount of time on that thing as you already have, the cost would be right up there with replacing the KSU. That would have taken a fraction of that time and be guaranteed to work.

-Hal
Posted By: itac james Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 05/07/08 10:33 AM
Update. I finally deinstalled the common equipment and trundled it off to the nearest repair facility.

TURNS OUT THAT I HAD FAILED TO PUT THE CARDS WITH THE HIGHEST RELEASE NUMBER TO THE LEFT. ONCE DONE IT WORKED PERFECTLY. LIVE AND LEARN.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 05/07/08 11:21 AM
Ive got a lot out there with release numbers all over the cabinets , I don't see highest release left to right having any effect
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner II erratic functioning - 05/07/08 12:08 PM
TURNS OUT THAT I HAD FAILED TO PUT THE CARDS WITH THE HIGHEST RELEASE NUMBER TO THE LEFT. ONCE DONE IT WORKED PERFECTLY. LIVE AND LEARN.

Absolutely nothing to do with anything. Just removing and reseating the mods is probably what got you going. I wouldn't get too comfortable though, that's an OLD system, but then again it can't be too important if it took you from October till now to get this fixed.

-Hal
As Hal said,

It's time to upgrade. The Proc batt is at the end of it's life.

Again, the battery on the mother board is 15 years old.

Which reminds me, I have to change the battery on my 15 year old Toshiba Laptop that runs and old Dos program. For all the old guys it was called Phonebizz by Tel in Tel.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help