atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: High Mesa Communications IP Office & door phone - 03/06/20 05:59 PM
I have a customer with an IP Office basic Rel 11. Problem is when some one pushes the door phone button the phones assigned start ringing and they don't stop till some one picks up the receiver. Can I limit the number of rings? tried assigning VM to the extensions, did not help. Any suggestions??
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/06/20 08:30 PM
If no one is going to pick up the phone and speak with the visitor, they want a door BELL, not a door PHONE
Posted By: dexman Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/06/20 09:58 PM
I think that Avaya/Bogen doorphones have a pot that will adjust the off hook duration. If I'm mistaken, the definitive answer will be posted below. smile
Posted By: hbiss Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/07/20 05:32 PM
Can I limit the number of rings?

Yeah, like Tommy said, somebody needs to pick up the phone!

-Hal
Posted By: High Mesa Communications Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/10/20 03:11 PM
That was helpful... Dexman, you think there is an adjustment within the unit?
Posted By: hbiss Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/10/20 05:09 PM
Don't remember if the IPO still has the door phone function like the old Partner. If so, program the extension as a door phone, not a hot line. If not, use a door phone controller like the Viking C-200. It can be programmed to have a maximum ring count of 3 or 10 rings.

And no, the Avaya/Bogen/Harris door phones had no provision for adjusting anything except maybe the mic and speaker volume (on some).

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 12:02 AM
I'm going to look at one of the two door phone units at my church. I think I saw a pot to adjust a timer. I will post an update sometime tomorrow.
Posted By: dexman Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 01:55 PM
The door phone DOES have an adjustable timer that will automatically hang up the unit after the preset time has elapsed (15 seconds to 2 minutes).
Adjusting this POT might yield a happy medium between constant ringing and users getting cutoff while talking. But, a door bell
or an SLT inside of an enclosure might be other options to consider.
Posted By: hbiss Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 05:01 PM
The door phone DOES have an adjustable timer that will automatically hang up the unit after the preset time has elapsed (15 seconds to 2 minutes).

Well, there were so may different versions and manufacturers of that door phone that Avaya used that I'll take your word for maybe ONE having that ability. At any rate, I believe all will automatically hang up AFTER it's answered and there is a period of silence. Probably what you are thinking.

Connecting the door phone to a hot line is only going to do what you are experiencing. If the IPO can't provide a door phone function, that controller will.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 07:19 PM
The model in question is the rebranded Bogen. I took a picture of the installation guide...specifically the page that mentions the timer. I will post the picture for all to inspect.
Posted By: dexman Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 07:41 PM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/11/20 10:39 PM
Had a similar issue once, and I seem to recall setting the analog port to IVR instead of SLT. Might make a difference...
Posted By: hbiss Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/12/20 06:33 AM
Yes, that is the LAUDS supplied by Bogen. I can tell you that the timer duration sets the time out (disconnect) after the call has been picked up.

Again, there were three different manufacturers that AT&T, Lucent and Avaya contracted with to make door phones for them and all were very different in design. The OP has no idea which one he has anyway so we can't use the Bogen version as an example. For instance, the original Harris had zero controls.

As I recall, on some of them the caller could press the doorphone button again to disconnect and stop the ringing.

I don't know why we are belaboring this here. I would think Tommy would have answered the question of whether the IPO has a door phone function if it did. Just use a Viking C-200 and be done with it.

But then, going back to what Tommy was saying, if you want a door bell just use a button to short T&R instead of the doorphone.

-Hal
Posted By: High Mesa Communications Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/12/20 03:19 PM
And I thought this was going to be an easy one....
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/12/20 03:28 PM
The first problem is that this is an IP Office running in Basic mode. A Partner emulation, so it does have built in support for Avaya door boxes. It also does hotline dialing. No one in their right mind has that equipment sitting around to test and provide a solution.

On an IPO in Essential or Preferred mode, you would use a single line port and hotline dial to a User or Group. I reused some weird version of Avaya door box recently, and it would not time out if no one answered the call. I didn't take it apart to look for a time adjust pot (and how would it know if the call had been answered or not, it would just disconnect after the time delay, whether it was still ringing or connected). Since I had it hotline to a group, I turned on Voicemail for the group and put a Leave action in VM connected to a disconnect.

Also on IPO in Essential or Preferred, set the single line port to IVR so that it sends a positive disconnect signal to the door box, and it doesn't go blaring dial tone when you hang up.

For the OP, I would disconnect the push button and wire it to an actual doorbell. You can still call the door box with auto answer if you decide you want to talk to the visitor instead of just blindly buzzing them in.
Posted By: hbiss Re: IP Office & door phone - 03/12/20 05:29 PM
For the OP, I would disconnect the push button and wire it to an actual doorbell.

Some doorphone versions had another set of dry contacts on the push button that were brought out to the terminal block for exactly that purpose. You could use those for the door bell and connect the T&R to a regular analog extension. That way someone could pick up a phone and talk to the visitor if they wanted to. If nobody picks up the extension it should time out.

But the big question is what doorphone does he have.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help