atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: JBean3329 Cisco switch DHCP address - 02/25/15 01:36 PM
We have a customer who uses a Cisco small business switch to power his PoE IP phones. That is its only purpose. The switch pulled an IP address from his network server and all is well, except we need to know the IP address the Cisco switch is using. We have access via the console port, but can't find a command to use to display the address the switch has taken. We really, really don't want to default this switch and start from scratch. Does anyone know the CLI command to show the IP address? Common sense would say something with the 'show' command would work, but we can't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 02/25/15 01:45 PM
Depending on the model of the switch, a show run command should give you what you are looking for.
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 02/25/15 04:36 PM
'sh ip arp' should give you want you want... Or you could cheat and use a network analyzer, compare the mac addresses. Some of them even identify the manufacturer by mac. I had a free one on my iPhone but can't remember what it was called.
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 02/26/15 08:44 PM
Thanks, guys. WE are resisting the best we can, but networking knowledge is slowly becoming part of our daily stuff. Sheesh.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 02/26/15 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by 93mdk93
'sh ip arp' should give you want you want... Or you could cheat and use a network analyzer, compare the mac addresses. Some of them even identify the manufacturer by mac. I had a free one on my iPhone but can't remember what it was called.

Really?? And your iphone obviously needed to be connected to the network via a wireless connection??

Was it from the app store??
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 03/03/15 02:29 PM
Yeah it was from the app store... Network Analyzer Lite was the one I used most but there are others that do some cool things.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Cisco switch DHCP address - 03/04/15 09:55 PM
Why not check the active DHCP leases on the network server? Most Cisco SMB switches have a web interface, so you can easily figure out which DHCP IP address is for the switch by copying and pasting the suspect IP address into your web browser on a computer connected to the local network.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help