web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#585285 02/25/15 09:36 AM
Moderator-Iwatsu
OP Offline
Moderator-Iwatsu
We have a customer who uses a Cisco small business switch to power his PoE IP phones. That is its only purpose. The switch pulled an IP address from his network server and all is well, except we need to know the IP address the Cisco switch is using. We have access via the console port, but can't find a command to use to display the address the switch has taken. We really, really don't want to default this switch and start from scratch. Does anyone know the CLI command to show the IP address? Common sense would say something with the 'show' command would work, but we can't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Depending on the model of the switch, a show run command should give you what you are looking for.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
'sh ip arp' should give you want you want... Or you could cheat and use a network analyzer, compare the mac addresses. Some of them even identify the manufacturer by mac. I had a free one on my iPhone but can't remember what it was called.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Moderator-Iwatsu
OP Offline
Moderator-Iwatsu
Thanks, guys. WE are resisting the best we can, but networking knowledge is slowly becoming part of our daily stuff. Sheesh.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by 93mdk93
'sh ip arp' should give you want you want... Or you could cheat and use a network analyzer, compare the mac addresses. Some of them even identify the manufacturer by mac. I had a free one on my iPhone but can't remember what it was called.

Really?? And your iphone obviously needed to be connected to the network via a wireless connection??

Was it from the app store??

Yeah it was from the app store... Network Analyzer Lite was the one I used most but there are others that do some cool things.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Why not check the active DHCP leases on the network server? Most Cisco SMB switches have a web interface, so you can easily figure out which DHCP IP address is for the switch by copying and pasting the suspect IP address into your web browser on a computer connected to the local network.

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024