atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Mitel Tech Pac-West password - 08/18/07 10:32 AM
I have a an SX-200 EL installed by Pac-West and I can't get into programming on any level.

Does anyone know what Pac-West used as an installer password?

Please send PM if you know.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Pac-West password - 08/18/07 12:38 PM
This is 1 more example of why the 'password belongs to the customer', in my opinion. He picks it, you install it, make a backup of programming every time you are there and when he, or some ham-fisted psuedo-certified tech, hoses the program, if all else fails, you can default and load your last version and THEN make the changes the idiot that hosed the system was trying to make. AND make some $$$$. smile John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: Dane Re: Pac-West password - 08/18/07 06:03 PM
It always amazes me the number of props I work with all over the country who have no idea what the password is and the number of service companies that refuse to give the password to the customer. Lt horse is correct - the customer owns the password and should always have it. I have told customers to demand the password for the service company and tell them if they still balk to tell them they are turning it over to their lawyer - that usually gets the job done.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Pac-West password - 08/19/07 10:07 AM
I probably should mention that I have mixed feelings about holding the non-pay customer hostage with a password. I can almost approve of it, although the legalities are going to cost in the end. The judge is going to say non-pay and password are 2 different subjects and 2 different court cases, my guess. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: Pac-West password - 08/20/07 02:52 PM
One bit of advice. Since a lot of service companies don't like to give out their passwords (since they use it on more than one site), ask them to change the password back to the default value.
That way, they don't feel like they're giving up their security on more than one site.
Posted By: westerntelephone Re: Pac-West password - 08/20/07 05:03 PM
Right on, 55.
Posted By: Mitel Tech Re: Pac-West password - 08/22/07 07:33 AM
Thanks to all. I agree the passwords belong to the customer but in reality the Service Co. never will default it until the manufacturers force their hand to do so. The system has been re-located outside Pac-West territory so I don't believe they will co-operate. I guess I could default the system but without the MOSS sheet I won't know the options. BTW, there is no back ups for the system available.
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Pac-West password - 08/22/07 09:19 AM
Have Mitel dial in & reset the password.
Posted By: Dane Re: Pac-West password - 08/22/07 10:50 AM
I think that is your best option - have mitel reset it. It's gonna cost but hey - it will save a lot of headaches. I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing for the service company to change the password due to non-payment either. Besides it stops the customer from just calling another service company and screwing them, too. My attitude is - while system under warranty password should be changed - when out of warranty back to default on Maint 1 with full privileges. If customer is current and wants the installer password changed do that as well. If they decide to go to someone else and they screw it up I will always be happy to charge them to fix it. With digital/light systems I like to keep a current set of disks backed up with a password I know on there so I can always get back - unfortunately not an option on the EL or ICP.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Pac-West password - 08/24/07 03:26 PM
Dane, ML/EL is even better than 200D,light. Just back it using hyperterm or whatever. Back it up to a floppy, or your hard drive (BAD IDEA-CRASH), or even a floppy on site and 1 in the shop. Then use it to pre-program your next motel system! Assuming you do enough hospitality to have developed a standard program. I believe that is also an option on the ICP, although I'm not certified on the ICP and cannot speak with knowledge regarding it. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: Dane Re: Pac-West password - 08/27/07 02:53 PM
Correct you can keep a backup on your computer and also on a floppy or CD on site, but if on site you would need to have someone there with computer - can't just throw a new set of disks in is what I meant.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Pac-West password - 08/27/07 05:16 PM
Valid point, but I've wiped the spare set with a bad drive. frown Since then, if I have the SLIGHTEST suspicion about the drive(s), they get replaced and sent in for rehab. In other words, ALWAYS! A lot cheaper than programming a new set of discs from scratch, after replacing the discs AND the drives! John C.
Posted By: Joe White Re: Pac-West password - 07/28/08 03:40 PM
Regarding owner owning the password - I provide service agreement. In this condition I do not give the password to anyone. I have seen many small guys trying to impress the owners and propose changes to the program that really screws up our set up and makes us look like an idiot. So we take exclusive service with or without a service agreement. I have seen on SX50 where other carriers will insert access codes in ARS without our knowledge. When the owner decides to discontinue the Long Distance service and the access codes do not work - no one can make any outgoing calls. It takes a while for us to find out the problem. They always deny that ayone has made any changes to it.
Posted By: becca1jane Re: Pac-West password - 07/29/08 02:59 PM
Most PacWest systems didn't belong to the customer - PacWest sold dialtone to businesses using a 200 as a channel bank. The 200 belonged to PacWest, not the customer, so the customer wouldn't have had the password to begin with.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help