atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sp9239 Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 02:22 PM
Hello! New to this forum as well as PBX system.

Currently Mitel SX-50 misbehaving after a recent thunder storm power outage.

Now, the PBX system rings all incoming call to a x210 and at the main console at same time. Also, same things happens if I transfer a call to any extension withing PBX and it will ring x210.

One other weird problem is that the PBX has x405 used for fax. The line for fax gets a dial tone but it doesn't break after hitting 9 for outside line.

The Alarm lights came on the first 24hrs after the initial problem and it read: A22 0031 Line Loopback Error 02/15. Now the Alarm light comes on only once in a while after I called AT&T cust service and a tech verified the connection upto the demark point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sam
Posted By: Dane Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 02:28 PM
That error code means that equipment number 31 failed a line loopback test, but it looks like it happened on Feb 15 ????

Does it ring only 210 or does it also ring the extension you transfer it to?

Have you reset the PBX?

Does this happen with system in day service
Posted By: sp9239 Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 02:35 PM
The problem occured on Aug. 19th @ 7:00pm CST in USA. Not sur why it reports 02/15.

The tranferred extension rings as well as the extension 210 which rings all the time for any activity on cosole.

I have not reseted the PBX (other than hitting * 32 to turn off Alarm message) I am affraid to reset because I don't have any type of backup.

One other thing I have found out that some extensions can't even get the conversation two way. One the caller can hear on phone after transferring the phone to the room.

Yes, it happens in the day service.

Because of the storms in our area I installed a UPS Battery Backup to avoid this and not sure why I still got into this problem.

Thanks! for your quick reply.

Sam
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 02:55 PM
Is extension 210 an admin extension?
Does the loopback error alarm keep returning?
What is the Equipment # for ext 210?
In rooms that cannot carry on 2-way conversations, have you tried a Known-good phone in those rooms? (By known-good I mean 1 that you borrowed from another room AFTER testing it in that room. Just because no one has complained, does not indicate that a specific room's phone is good! Test it before trying it in a 'bad' room)
Truthfully, you probably need to try a power-off reset, AFTER you have located a certified Mitel tech that is willing to come to your rescue. My knee jerk reaction is that if a reset and/or default-and-reprogram don't clear the problem(s), you are going to need a master control card.
UPS's are not the best choice for power surge/lightning protection. And lightning can come in on the phone lines. Or even 'backwards' from a computer modem that is hooked to an extension port and plugged into an unprotected outlet.
Keep us posted on your progress, we'll help as much as we can. John C (Not Garand)
Posted By: Dane Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 03:05 PM
Well the SX50 uses EPROM type memory. I don't think you can avoid a reset. However make sure that you do a program dump before you reset just in case you can't get the thing back up. I don't have time to tell you how to do that now since I am late for an appointment but others here can give you the procedure. Just make sure you have plenty of paper in your printer (hopefully you have one on site, if not you can dump it to a computer with hyperlink or other terminal program). I think eventually you are going to have to cross your fingers and reset, but don't do it until monday. There was an old Movie titled "Never on Sunday" in the phone business I have learned "Never on Friday". Good luck.
Posted By: sp9239 Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 04:17 PM
response to Lightninghorse above...

210 is an extension just like any other. There are total 50 extension under one SX-50 system.

The loopback error hasn't come back since Monday after AT&T tech stopped verified the demark point. However, today(Friday) in morning the error (Alarm) came back twice and haven't heard again.

I am not sure what you mean by Equipment # for 210? It belongs to the same PBX as other extensions. The telephones used are simple telephone like in homes, except it has Message Light on it. Most are made by Ageis.

So, far I have tried a working from extension 210 and still get no dial tone. I just get lots of noise on 210.
Posted By: sp9239 Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/24/07 04:22 PM
respones to Dane above...

I attempted to do a Data Dump in 2006. However, due to lack of knowledge I didn't really complete it.

Does it take a long time to do a dump?

Will appreciate any info on data dump procedures and Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks! for the time.

Sam
Posted By: Mitel Tech Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/25/07 10:27 AM
I agree with most of the above except for one small item. DO NOT RESET the system until you have replaced the battery on the software module.

It uses a CR-232 battery. The problem with the date leads me to believe the battery may be old.

Once the battery has been replace you can power down without losing the program. If you are unsure of what you are doing by all means find a QUALIFIED MITEL tech familiar with the SX-50. It is an odd beast.
Posted By: Dane Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/25/07 10:39 AM
when you have printer or laptop hooked up to the SMDR port and have verified you are getting readable data then on the console

press "function"
dial 97
dial 7772

above are codes if they were not changed from the default.

I agree with MT. Battery change is warranted before reset. Though I have had systems running for 20 years with battery still good. However some of the flaky stuff you are getting could be a result of failing battery.

good luck
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/25/07 10:54 AM
Your comments lead me to agree, 1st a power down reset, AFTER you replace the software battery, located on the right side of the card cage.

The battery is a CR2032, don't drive the clerk crazy. It seems to be available many places for many uses. I've even seen it at Wal-Mart! Apparently, it fits some watches. But look at the battery before you go out to buy 1. The very early software packs used a different configuration that 'stands' on 3 legs, while the CR2032 is the proverbial 'coin' battery. The '3-legged one' can be tough to find. Like Dane said, Good Luck. smile John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: sp9239 Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/25/07 04:36 PM
About the battery...
Is it Okay to change battery while the system is running?

How many batteries are there? Is there one battery for each cards. The system has four cards installed.

Also, is it OK to remove cards while the system is running?

I will have extra CR2032 handy by end of Sunday.

Also, something I didn't notice before. I saw that the card #2 from left has blinking Green Light for Status. All others lights are solid Green.

Thank You for all of your's time and quickness in responses.
Posted By: Dane Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/26/07 09:37 AM
Only the program module has a batter it mounts on the side of cage and is connected via a ribbon connector. the battery is round and is held in place with a little metal arm. Much like some watch batteries. DO NOT disconnect the ribbon cable to the software module while the system is under power. It should be okay to change the battery and it is okay to hot swap trunk and line cards. However I usually don't because with the way the cables connect to the cards it is often difficult to unseat cards from backplane with cables plugged in and unplugging and plugging 25 pair amphenol connectors can sometimes cause shorts under power - just my opinion. Always error on the side of caution.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 08/26/07 02:49 PM
Blinking GREEN = IN USE. Some port on that card is in use, normally indicated by RED light next to port number on the card.
Altho nowhere in SX50 Documentation does it say you can remove cards with the system on, I get the distinct impression that everybody but me does it. Successfully, I might add. Dane has a valid point for not doing it, the connector cables usually prevent it, unless you disconnect 2 or 3 cables. At that point you might as well turn the system off, you are going to take three cards out of service, and possibly create other problems if you don't. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: sp9239 Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 09/06/07 07:34 PM
Hello!
Resolution to this issue...

To update everyone on this issue. I had a tech come out on Monday and had fixed the issue.

The problem turned out to be Port 18 Card 4 and Port 15 on Card 1 is bad. So, it had to be rerouted. One of bad port caused the ext. 218 to ring all the time.

Didn't replace the card. Kept the same cards.

Thank You! everyone of their great effort.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Mitel SX-50 Alarm Message - 09/07/07 07:54 PM
sp9239, thanks for the update. And isn't it great when you get someone on site that knows how to find the answers to the ?'s we asked, and better yet, knew how to ask them AND what to do to fix the problem? It's ALWAYS better to have a qualified tech on-site, even if you do spend $$. Cheaper than possible damage! John C. (Not Garand)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help