atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: baldwin Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/09/10 07:41 PM
Hi!! I work for a Holiday Inn that uses Mitel pbx
Phones in guest rooms on 2nd and third floors don't work!! The main console says "MAJOR ALARM".
HOW CAN I FIX IT? PLEASE HELP!
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/09/10 07:49 PM
Sounds like you should call in the tech that normally works for your hotel. This should have been posted in the Mitel forum, though for greater exposure. I'll get it moved for you.
Posted By: baldwin Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/09/10 08:13 PM
Thank you! We don't have a tech, the old owner cancelled the contract and I just started working there as the Sales director.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/09/10 09:12 PM
You need someone who works on Mitel system to help you. Major Alarms are serious problems, not for someone who is not trainned on the system.
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/09/10 09:13 PM
One of your bays is down. Depending on the system, it could be a BPS or BCC or other.
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/10/10 06:59 AM
baldwin, please don't be offended, or think that we are brushing you off. Troubleshooting a phone system requires access to specialized equipment and diagrams, manuals, spare boards, etc. A hotel phone system is even more "mission-critical" than a typical small business system - your guests are expecting a working phone to make calls and contact the front desk for room service, etc. This is why such a system is always supported by a service contract from a qualified vendor.

Cutbacks are a reality these days, but some things are not optional. Tell your boss (nicely) that he needs to reverse his predecessor's decision today, before your guests start fleeing in droves because they didn't get their wake-up call...

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/10/10 07:07 AM
What the Dr and Jim said. About all you can do in this case is confirm that all equipment cabinets have power. Sorry!
Posted By: upstateny Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/10/10 08:55 AM
Well since you are at a Holiday Inn you should be ok to fix a phone system (since you got a good nights' sleep like in the commercials)
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/10/10 03:54 PM
Boooooo :rofl: :rofl:
Posted By: Jason pell Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/11/10 05:25 AM
It might be as simple as Lightnighorse said!I was on a call the other day and a powerstrip feeding one bay was turned off!
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/11/10 08:17 AM
Well, that's AT LEAST 2 of us that have been down that road. I drove 223 miles, EACH WAY, one not-so-fine day because of a GFI breaker that was tripped by some YO-YO contractor that plugged in his JUNK hammer drill! Guess it could have been worse, the trash on the power line might have driven the bay 'around the bend" so to speak.
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/12/10 08:38 PM
I have not been doing this as long as some other members on this board, but as a tech who has worked on several systems, I will admit that there are some where a tech-savvy customer can "reverse engineer" programming (though I have had to fix such a system on more than one occasion where they customer already worked on it themselves).

However, the Mitel is not one of these systems. The programming is a lot less intuitive, especially if you have had no training explaining how to interpret the programming screens, much less how to program your settings. That's even assuming you can get into programming...I sincerely doubt that they left the password as the default (few installers ever do).

I do hope that it is as simple as said earlier by lightninghorse and it is just a power strip. Either way, as mentioned earlier by Jim Bennett, some things are not optional. Your phone tech is your friend. You should renew your contract.
Posted By: johnp Re: Help with Mitel "Major Alarm" - 05/12/10 09:50 PM
I don't know if you should renew your contract, but surely someone with some certification should be called to troubleshoot.

As far as I know, most telephone techs aren't renting out rooms to strangers in their homes. Likewise hotel staff shouldn't be working on phone systems.

JMHO
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help