atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jmics CICS ringing options - 11/03/08 01:45 PM
I have a CICS 7.1 with a Call Pilot 3.1 at my site. Calls will be coming in through a CCR tree, and at some point, being transferred to an extension. The issue is that we need to make two phones ring when that happens, which I expect to accomplish with Answer DNs (correct me if I'm wrong).

The question is what happens when either the destination DN or the set with an Answer DN is busy. Will the other set ring ? Does it matter which one is busy ?

I imagine that setting Call Fwd Busy or Call Fwd No Answer will cause the call to be eaten by one of those features being triggered. On the other hand, I don't want the call to ring forever.

What are my options ?
Posted By: rich30529 Re: CICS ringing options - 11/03/08 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jmics:
What are my options ?
Hunt groups.
Posted By: vad60 Re: CICS ringing options - 11/03/08 06:34 PM
You have two ICMs by default. System will considered its busy if both are engaged in conversation. Answer DN has nothing to do with busy state of covered Ext. besides you can assign as many ICMs as you wish to keep original DN available.
I don't think Hunt group is a good option for one DN.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/04/08 04:44 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you wrote. If a CCR menu item sends a call to 225, and that extension is busy, but there is an Answer DN for 225 on 226, will the call ring at 226 ?

Conversely, if 226 is busy, will the call ring at 225 ?

If I go with a hunt group, and both extensions have CFNA going to VM after four rings, which extension's VM will get the message ?
Posted By: rich30529 Re: CICS ringing options - 11/04/08 05:16 AM
Build and send it to a HG mailbox, or change one of the DN's CFWD N/A(whichever mailbox you want to answer first) to a shorter number of rings.
Posted By: telemarv Re: CICS ringing options - 11/04/08 05:38 AM
Use Hunt Groups. They do NOT follow CFNA rules of the DN's they are on.

Build a broadcast hunt group with overflow to the voice mail, point your CCR to the HG DN, create a mailbox for the huntgroup.

Ans DN are tricky because of CFNA timing and you can't use CFB on any set that has an ANS DN on it.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/04/08 06:09 AM
Thank you.

One question: If a station is a member of a hunt group, but the call was sent to the station directly, by dialing that extension, do the hunt group settings apply, or can I set up CFNA/CFB for that station, keeping in mind that the hunt group also exists ?
Posted By: telemarv Re: CICS ringing options - 11/04/08 10:57 AM
They are seperate. Calls to the DN directly use CFNA/CFB settings. Calls to the HG do not.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 01:17 PM
So I created a hunt group 1, DN 290, with members 221 and 222. It rings both phones, and if neither answers, it goes back to the CCR main menu.

Instead, I need it to drop into 221's voicemail.

If I set up overflow for hunt group 1 to 221, and CFNA is pointing to the voicemail DN, it goes back to the voicemail main menu.

Return to Menu is NOT checked in the Call Pilot.

I don't see any programming for the hunt group that specifies what happens if the hunt group isn't answered.
Posted By: telemarv Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 01:53 PM
jmic,
The Mods have been reviewing your posts and questions.

You have repeatedly shown very limited knowledge of Nortel products. I think it's time to open the books/take a course. Tech Talk is not here to teach you to be a Nortel technician. This is an end user and basic installer forum only.

I hope you are not charging for the services you are providing. If you are, it very unprofessional to call yourself a Nortel telephone technician.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 02:00 PM
Would you be kind enough to explain what I need to do to get voice mail to pick up instead of going back to the menu, and why it might be doing that instead of dropping into voicemail ? I have been through both the installer and coordinator manuals, and things tend to be explained in a granular way, rather than from a big picture call flow view. If there is a particular manual I should be looking at, please advise.
Posted By: telemarv Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 02:06 PM
If you don't understand the manual, then you don't understand basic telephony or Nortel's terminology.

Take a course.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 02:55 PM
I didn't say that I don't understand the manual. I said that I didn't see where in the manual the call flow picture is addressed. Since the manuals are specific to each product, there doesn't appear to be a manual that explains how call flow proceeds when you integrate two products like the CICS and the Call Pilot.

I am happy to invest the time and effort to learn things, but there are some things that are only learned by experience, since issues often develop in situations unforeseen by manual writers. It seems to me that there are questions asked in this forum that I could have answered, but I wouldn't consider it either professional or appropriate to speak down to them.

As I've gleaned from looking through the postings on this site, many people learn through the kindness of other people sharing their knowledge. At some point, none of us had any of the answers we have today. A moderator should certainly treat forum members with the courtesy due to anyone seeking to improve their understanding.

I hope you will be kind enough to share what you know, Marv. I've seen you do it with so many other postings.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 03:27 PM
Originally posted by jmics:
.....there are some things that are only learned by experience, since issues often develop in situations unforeseen by manual writers.
True, but many of those issues are explained when you take the proper courses....and with the courses AND experience with the particular equipment solutions can be reached... :read: wink
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 04:40 PM
Then I would ask for two things:

1) Please give me the specific details I need to route the call into voicemail instead of wrapping back to the menu

2) Please recommend the course that would address the call flow as it relates to the CICS and Call Pilot. I suspect that such a course may not even exist at this point, seeing as the hardware involved is substantially out of date, and it would be difficult to apply new information back to hardware that may not have many of the capabilities or options of newer gear.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 05:22 PM
It would appear that part of the problem is that using extension 221 in a hunt group automatically routes the call back to the VM menu.

So I create a hunt group 1, DN 290, with members 222 and 223, which rings both phones. If I set up overflow for hunt group 1 to 222, and CFNA for 222 is pointing to the voicemail DN, and overflow is triggered and the call is routed to 222, does the CFNA setting for 222 apply to that routed call ?
Posted By: vad60 Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 07:00 PM
Yes, it will. I never try that and not sure you can Overflow to the member of HG. But if you can it definitely should work.
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/05/08 11:15 PM
The manual says two interesting things:

1) Do not assign any hunt group lines to individual telephones. If any of the phones have the line assigned, remove the line from the phone before assigning it to the hunt group.

2) If the overflow phone is a hunt group phone, the call is treated as a new call, and goes to the bottom of the queue.

There is no consequence indicated for the first condition, so it's hard to know what happens in that case.

The second condition seems to indicate that even if overflow is programmed, the call will never get out of the queue, but rather simply be reloaded to the queue each time it times out to overflow. That would seem to indicate that you can never send a hunt group call to the voice mail of a member phone.

Any comments on that ?
Posted By: vad60 Re: CICS ringing options - 11/06/08 03:51 AM
Its possible but doesn't make sense to me. By all rules hunting take place only if you dial a HG pilot number but never when you dial member directly but with Overflow it might be a different story. Anyway I'd try.

Lines should ring into HG not individual member.
Posted By: Michaelq Re: CICS ringing options - 11/06/08 02:32 PM
overfow HG to call pilot DN. Make sure the HG DN is assigned to as an additional ext in the mailbox you want it to go.
Posted By: U-TEL-US Re: CICS ringing options - 11/06/08 03:26 PM
Quite often on this board I will check previously posted questions and get my answer there .If you check out my simular question posted Oct24-27 2007 I'm sure you will be able to solve your problem .
Posted By: jmics Re: CICS ringing options - 11/08/08 09:20 PM
Thank you for pointing me to that thread.

I looked through that carefully, but I still don't have the solution I need.

The method proposed there won't work for me because there are several hunt groups in which a given station is involved, and since there is only one alt extension per mailbox, that will only work for one hunt group.

Equally important, I don't see where it addresses rule #2 above (oflow phone can't be a hunt group phone - that just causes the call to loop in the hunt group q).

Might this be a trick that the CICS/CP combination just won't do ?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help