atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: wrxs disconnect timer - 12/15/09 05:49 PM
having a problem on a 308 dr5 software, the system only has 2 lines, when i get on the second line and call the first, i get the ccr tree, hang up call right back into the first line, it rings 1 short ring, then goes to ccr for a short time, then all you hear is fax data,
customer does not have fax machine, tend to think
the disconnect timer from co (ATT) is not set right, i have the lines programmed as supervised,
but cannot find line disconnect timer in programming, any help would be appreciated.
wrxs1 thanks you all.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: disconnect timer - 12/16/09 03:51 AM
Line one also serves the alarm panel right?

Five bucks says it has nothing to do with the KSU, or VM, but with with the alarm system modem.

Many alarm systems have their modem setup that way so they can call in and check.
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: disconnect timer - 12/16/09 05:08 AM
I agree with Dave.
Sounds like a security alarm unit.
Posted By: wrxs Re: disconnect timer - 12/16/09 05:18 AM
did not check the alarm status, my bad, will call
customer, and check if it is activated, (alarm modem), what is the normal disconnect timer on a co trunk in milliseconds, anyone know? i always
thought 600 am i wrong, thanks for the response
wrxs.
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: disconnect timer - 12/16/09 05:32 AM
If it was a disconnect problem you would get a busy tone when you called again.

1) your second call gets the auto attendant.
Even for a couple seconds means the call is coming in.
2) If your alarm wiring is done properly, you should be able to test it.
When you call and get the tone, try to pick up line one on the phone. If wired properly AND it is the alarm, you should hear dead air on line one.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: disconnect timer - 12/16/09 05:50 AM
If you find that it is the alarm, move it to Line 2 in this case or the last line in any other. If you do move it, notify the alarm company what the new number is. BTW, they don't really care which line it is on.

Calling the client, I always found to be a fruitless effort. Whether they are actually connected to a central or not, the modem will activate if it was programmed to do so.
Posted By: wrxs Re: disconnect timer - 12/17/09 04:29 AM
thanks everyone, as usual two heads are better than one, called customer and he did have an alarm system put in, but it is located at another building that is tied to the first line, will go back and move it to the second. thank you for the help, and keep up the good work... wrxs.
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: disconnect timer - 12/17/09 07:42 AM
Is there REALLY any reason that the alarm system needs to answer??

My company never calls in to my alarm system and I didn't want anyone to be able to anyway, I disabled the auto answer on the alarm unit.

Took care of that problem.
Posted By: olympic Re: disconnect timer - 12/17/09 01:41 PM
Just a word of caution, had a company here in Vancouver move an alarm line for same reason as above, and ended up bieng sued because when there was a break in, the alarm failed to call the monotoring station. The alarm company said it was the phone guys fault for tampering with the line.
I would suggest that if an alarm line needs to be moved have the alarm people move it, that way you dont expose yourself or your company, to any liability issues.
Posted By: wrxs Re: disconnect timer - 12/17/09 06:38 PM
thanks for that info, i know the guy that owns the alrm system will let him know what is going on and suggest that he move it. everyone have a merry christmas cause i don't think tiger is gonna
get the one big gift this year, i just heard she
packed her bags, no sense of humor i guess..
cul wrxs and thanks everyone.
Posted By: paulsonpd Re: disconnect timer - 12/19/09 09:23 AM
I don't know of ANY alarm Co. that will "move" a line.

YOU should move it and tell customer (in writing) to have the alarm company test to their needs. Make sure to use the correct RJ31x, In/Out, or whatever jack.

Is the problem even solved by moving alarm to 2nd line? ......with Alarm still auto-answering?
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: disconnect timer - 12/19/09 12:10 PM
Originally posted by paulsonpd:
..........Is the problem even solved by moving alarm to 2nd line? ......with Alarm still auto-answering?
Alarm will still answer when the line rings, hang-up, call right back.
I guess they think that it won't happen as much being on line 2.
Still need to have that option turned off, unless the alarm company MUST get into the system.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: disconnect timer - 12/19/09 04:31 PM
I don't know of ANY alarm Co. that will "move" a line
I know a lots, however 10 years ago not so easy.

Best method is to identify the phone number of a jumper at the carrier Demarcation point, the alarm compnay most certianly knows how to take it from there.

Other than then that we do not install alarm jacks, not our job!!!.

Anyway thats how the alarm panel is setup, call the line then call it right back so the alarm moden answers....nothing to do with the line.
You can have th alarm company choose another method or put it on a fax (line not heavily used) or dedicated line if its an issue.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help