That seems like a broad statement that's not always true.
There are ESI Resellers that believe in updating software every time a new version comes available and then there are others that update software on an as needed basis. I am a reseller among the latter group. I'm one of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it fans.

Shortly after calling ESI Tech Support and describing the problem scenario the ESI Tech remotely connected to the system and said this:

"They are running 2.3.0 software and that is pretty old for this system."

I then could hear him making a few entries to his keyboard and then he said this:

"There we go, it'll work now."

We then exchanged pleasantries and said goodbye.

John, has this reprogram procedure been tried yet?
Yes, twice as a matter of fact. I called the end user within minutes of the tech support call and talked to Heather at extension 100. I ask her to put me on hold and press the PRGM button and she did. She returned to me with confirmation. I then emailed the OP of this thread with the results and he also called the end user and had the procedure tested.

Did it correct the problem?
Of course it did, never second guess ESI Tech Support!

Could Invalid Message Count have caused a "perceived" full drive?
Maybe, Maybe not? When I call ESI Tech Support I usually described the problem and then follow their lead. This never came up in the conversation so I have no information on this.