I have no idea what Florida's laws are, however, I do know the regulators must meet the FCC regulations regarding competition when there is competition available.

This was the concern of many independent telephone companies when the FCC ruling did a broad brush approach to regulation. "What happens if there is no viable competition?" The FCC basically made no provision for that and left the dirty little issue up to the individual state public utility commissions. Many state commissions did nothing. Some, like Pennsylvania regulate everything and have a rule for every scenario.

I read the Florida PSC telecommunications provisions and, for the most part, they kind of shrug their collective shoulders and leave it up to the serving LEC whether it be ILEC or CLEC. My guess is, if you did some really hard digging within the PSC, you will find either a regulation or a comment regulation regarding your question. If it was me, I would be a "thorn in their flesh" until they fully addressed the issue. This is a situation that needs regulation, or, at the very least, a ruling that is considerate of the subscriber as well as the provider.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet