Well,

I spent about 3 hours on this today...totally frustrating. We would like to upgrade them to Wave eventually but we have to fix this first.

Anyway, I checked everything that stood out to me:

1, flash 24 shows the VM1B properly installed in slot 7

2, flash 65 shows the group one is set up (440). There are 8 possible VM groups on the XTSc-IP. Only one is programmed.

3, also flash 65, within VM group one (440) only stations 100 and 101 are programmed as stations. the manual says up to 24 stations can be assigned, this system only has 8 to begin with and only 2 are programmed (100 & 101). Initially, all 8 were programmed but I removed 102 through 107 in hopes I was freeing up ports.

4, there are some options under flash 65 that I left at the default:
STANDARD LEAVE MAIL INDEX ENTRY left at default of "0"
RETRIEVE MAIL INDEX ENTRY set to the default of "1"
VMID STATION NUMBERS set to "same as station #"
NO ANSWER LEAVE MAIL INDEX ENTRY left at default of "0"
BUSY LEAVE MAIL INDEX ENTRY left at default of "1"
VOICE MAIL ID TRANSLATION set to default of "station numbers are assigned as vmid digits

all the in-band signaling parameters are set at the default which I verified.

All the programming using hyperterminal fits perfectly with the book...everything is where it is supposed to be and works as indicated. The PBX integration screens are exactly as prescribed for this VM unit.

One curiosity that I noticed is that under the mailbox assignment screen when using hyperterminal, the system creates by default a whole bunch of mailboxes, 50 to be exact.

When using hyperterminal, I am connected through the serial port on the VM board, should I be on the CKIB instead, or does it matter. The VM book seems to indicate being directly connected to the VM board.

If I dial 100 through 107 i get that actual station (extension) which is all they have. If I dial 108 through 115 the VM system answers and say "if you have a mailbox on this system press #, enter the extension number of the party you are calling" If I dial anything above that (116 and up ) I get a reorder/error tone.

If I dial 108 to 115 after the system answers I can set up mailboxes, do all the admin options, anything I want.

It just just doesn't answer when you dial 440 or when an outside CO is assigned to VM group 1, day or night.

One big question in my mind is this: The book says this VM card has 8 ports. Each port can address 24 stations and 250 mailboxes. I noticed that each of the 8 ports can be programmed to behave differently with different call routing and messages. This could be the key I am missing. I can't find anywhere that there is a place to direct 400 to a certain port in the VM system. Logically it should be selected somewhere or else why could each of the 8 ports have a different auto attendant scheme.