I am a little vague on what comcast supplies commercial customers. In two instances I know of, one being at a local pub I do some side work for, and the other at a friend's car detailing shop, they have provided what seems like the identical gateway to what I have here at home. There are some different firewall settings and the default LAN IP range is different. Besides a that and a different default login, I really don't see any difference. Same four gigabit ethernet ports, two phone lines, and two USB ports that are disabled anyway.(They do still have the +5 volts, so I guess you could charge your kindle while waiting for the service man.) I think a static IP is standard for business class, but I could be wrong. They charge way more for business internet than residential, and functionally I can't tell the difference. The only thing I do notice is that these two business choose to get the slower tier of speed since it's prohibitively expensive to get the faster tiers. My friend at the car detailing shop has maybe 3-5 Mbps down and 1 up, the bar is 25/5 I think. I told my friend at the detailing shop, he should have gone with DSL. At least he would have gotten close to 10 megs for the same price he pays for 3 now. And because he is a business, they refuse to let him have a residential package. All he uses it for is to check email and schedule appointments, he doesn't need much. But they are raping him and he doesn't have anything but the internet, no phone, no tv. At least with DSL, fairpoint would have tossed in a voice line for cheap. The bar has internet, tv and phone, but interestingly enough, the phone comes in on a separate emta instead of the all in one thing. They have the 25/5 because they have a public hot spot, and they stream most of their music. They only have a DJ a couple nights a week. Plus they use one of those hosted POS systems. I hate the POS system, but that's the way they wanted to go. I just keep the infrastructure working right. I also set up the firewalls so the public WIFI can share the internet connection with the registers and people cant get into them with their tablets and smartphones. SO STUPID that a commercial POS system would have a web based GUI that any idiot who can figure out the IP address can get into. Like I said, not my idea.

Last edited by ChrisRR; 12/03/15 09:35 PM.