web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DVR is on Cablevision's servers. No special boxes required, access DVR from any box or the internet. Just $11/mo for DVR service. Every time I hear about Comtastic I feel better about Cablevision, if that's possible.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Comcast is moving in that direction. As it is, the DVR doesn't work during any kind of internet outage. It would make a hell a lot more sense if they would go completely in that direction. Why have the hard drive in the house if you can't access it when there's any kind of network glitch? Now that I think about it, I think with the X1 service they include 1 or two boxes as part of the package, so I may have been wrong about the rental amount I quoted before. Still, I do know that we pay per month for the router/gateway. So if I can cut the bill a little that way, I'd still like to. Not to mention, with a separate emta, I can put the emta in the phone closet, and have the router in a location that will give the wifi decent coverage.

All I have from Cablevision is the emta- cable from the street in and 4 POTS lines out and an ethernet port. I provide my own router and wifi access point. They will provide a router/wifi piece of junk if the customer wants it though. They also supply a decent router if you order static IPs. What does Comcast provide for commercial customers? They would have no use for what they supply you.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I am a little vague on what comcast supplies commercial customers. In two instances I know of, one being at a local pub I do some side work for, and the other at a friend's car detailing shop, they have provided what seems like the identical gateway to what I have here at home. There are some different firewall settings and the default LAN IP range is different. Besides a that and a different default login, I really don't see any difference. Same four gigabit ethernet ports, two phone lines, and two USB ports that are disabled anyway.(They do still have the +5 volts, so I guess you could charge your kindle while waiting for the service man.) I think a static IP is standard for business class, but I could be wrong. They charge way more for business internet than residential, and functionally I can't tell the difference. The only thing I do notice is that these two business choose to get the slower tier of speed since it's prohibitively expensive to get the faster tiers. My friend at the car detailing shop has maybe 3-5 Mbps down and 1 up, the bar is 25/5 I think. I told my friend at the detailing shop, he should have gone with DSL. At least he would have gotten close to 10 megs for the same price he pays for 3 now. And because he is a business, they refuse to let him have a residential package. All he uses it for is to check email and schedule appointments, he doesn't need much. But they are raping him and he doesn't have anything but the internet, no phone, no tv. At least with DSL, fairpoint would have tossed in a voice line for cheap. The bar has internet, tv and phone, but interestingly enough, the phone comes in on a separate emta instead of the all in one thing. They have the 25/5 because they have a public hot spot, and they stream most of their music. They only have a DJ a couple nights a week. Plus they use one of those hosted POS systems. I hate the POS system, but that's the way they wanted to go. I just keep the infrastructure working right. I also set up the firewalls so the public WIFI can share the internet connection with the registers and people cant get into them with their tablets and smartphones. SO STUPID that a commercial POS system would have a web based GUI that any idiot who can figure out the IP address can get into. Like I said, not my idea.

Last edited by ChrisRR; 12/03/15 09:35 PM.
They probably had the Comcast tech set up the network so that's what happens if you don't want to pay your own guy. Of the few IT guys I know none will deal with the junk that the cable company (or Verizon) provides.

-Hal

The public Wi-Fi should be on a network that can't access any other computers or POS devices onsite.

The POS devices should have a password to keep employees from monkeying with them.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
The public Wi-Fi should be on a network that can't access any other computers or POS devices onsite.

Yes, exactly. Just another example of Comcast's greed. When Cablevision provides a public access point it is connected to its own completely separate emta off a splitter on the cable drop.

I think the only way to solve your problems, Chris, is for you to move about 400 miles South to another cable system. driving

-Hal

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I'd love to move south. It's COLD up here. Comcast didn't set up their public WIFI, I did. Every install comcast does, anywhere, comes with 2 seperate networks. One is the customer's to do with what he pleases, and the other is WIFI only, and the SSID shows up as "XFINITY-WIFI". The problem is, you have to have an account with comcast to use it because you have to log in using your account name and password. If you aren't a comcast customer, you can't use it. Talk about greed! The problem was that they were just handing out their wifi password to the same network the POS system was on, thinking they SHOULD have been password protected. What I did was put the POS system behind it's own firewall and add a separate WIFI AP, behind its own firewall. There is no access in either direction now and all the firewalls have a strong password that only the owner knows. I did know, but I've since forgotten. The public WIFI does have a password to keep the mooches off, but it's simple enough for the customers to remember. There has been no problems since I set it up that way. It's a little cumbersome, but it beats paying comcast to set it up and maintain a second modem/router. Besides, the range on the AP I installed FAR exceeds anything comcast provides. There are no other computers onsite other than the POS terminals. Usually they just connect their phone or tablet to the WIFI and plug it into the sound system and stream pandora or something like that to provide music when there's no DJ. When the DJ comes in, he uses his laptop to play the music through the sound system in the DJ booth. He's on the WIFI in case he needs to download a strange request, but his computer goes with him when he leaves. The employees have minimal access to be able to monkey with the POS system. The terminals themselves are set up to not allow anyone into their settings unless they have the owners password.(From the terminal itself) The backdoor was just going into a browser on the same network and punching in the IP of the terminal into the address bar. The firewalls took care of that.

The problem is, you have to have an account with comcast to use it because you have to log in using your account name and password.

Well, same with Cablevision except that you can register your devices to the system and they will automatically connect whenever you are within range of a wifi "hotspot". Cablevision doesn't charge to install an access point and in fact solicits businesses to allow then to install them. This is in addition to the outdoor APs they have in the business districts, etc. Matter of fact when my network goes down in my house my wireless devices connect to their wifi. Not real close and not as fast but it does work.

-Hal

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Business district AP's?! That'll be the day in this neck of the woods. Maybe in a larger city, comcast might do something like that, but they definitely haven't done anything like that around here. In towns not served by comcast in NH, they have metrocast. My regular boss has them and they are great to deal with and in his office they asked him if they could install a public hot-spot. He agreed, and they installed a separate modem and AP just for that. Amazing what can happen when a company's first motivation ISN'T greed. Oh, you don't have to be a metrocast customer to use the hotspot, either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,867 Shoretel
189,985 CTX100 install
188,103 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024