One general question: Is it a bad idea to use plain Partner or Partner II cards with a Partner ACS processor?

Those names only reflect the vintage of the modules since they matched the system names at the time. They would be pretty old but they will work. Rather, you should be looking at the module type- 200, 400, 206, 206E, 206EC, 308EC. The ECs are the latest and would be the preferred choice especially since they provide CID for any CO lines connected to them (as should your ACS R3 by the way.)

As for the battery problem, yes, back up the programming then pull them WITH POWER ON. It's VERY common to find leaky batteries and corrosion. I take a small screwdriver and scrape the contacts in the removable holder then look at the contact springs in the module with a flashlight, then give them a scrape too. I've never had the problem, but if the removable holder is too far gone they are readily available new.

The customer has no desire to switch to T-1 or even get CID, or any of the other new features a new processor would give. (Right now, the CO lines are POTS and that's the way I like it.)

The Partner R8 is no different in that respect than what you have except it's 5x9. Still POTS lines (5 of them instead of 3). And you do have CID right now at least on the 3 lines coming into the ACS.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.