Well, maybe not 25 years. I did change a lamp last week (and needed a lamp extractor!).

But 25 years might be pretty close.

I was taking a nap and Fran was making all sorts of noise. OK, I'm up what's the problem? No internet. I go downstairs and the router (and the TV and the Set top Box and....) are all dark. Down the basement, check the breaker and all is good. I've got some power, but not all. Lost a phase from Con Edison.

Take the cover off the panel and test. Yup. I got half my service. I call Con Ed and the robot promises to dispatch soon.

Now my supervisor (Fran) says: "What's that clicking?" Interruptor in the 501 cabinet. Unbury it and discover the first (and now only) CO line is hosed.. Weird flutter type hold (not installed on my system). Clear more crap out of the way, lay down on the floor (don't ask, it's a long, sad story) and start testing.

Do I still remember how to test? It's been a real long time! This stuff just doesn't break. I wound up removing tips and rings from first one, then another terminal when it hits me.

The power went out first. It's got to be related to that. But how? It's all 1A2. Except......

For the 2 line phone I installed a few years ago that no one ever uses. THAT ONE plugs into the AC.

I went upstairs to the living room, pulled the plug and the problem went away.

Annoyed am I? You bet.

At that point Edison came by, (not bad. 90 minutes from when I called) told me that with all the snow on the street from the Nor'Easter (not to mention all the cars parked on top of the manholes that are frozen in place) that there was no way to provide a permanent fix.

Lacking a key to get into the demarcation box they opened my electric panel, removed the offending 1/0 cable from the breaker and jumped it out to the other phase - with number 10 wire!

"Don't you think that's a little light for 100 Amps?"

"Nah, it'll be fine till the snow thaws."

Oh well.

Luckily I don't have much that's 220 in the house.

It's been a day.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"