Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MattW Offline OP
OP Offline
All,

We're pondering the possibility of upgrading our CS-5200 to a Mitel 3300 MXe II and 5330 phones. We currently have seperate CS-5200 deployed at 5 locations. With the 3300, we're thinking about a single unit, with a possible secondary unit at our backup DR site servicing all of our 5 locations. We're approxmately 100 extensions total. Primary drivers are the pure SIP enviroment and integrations with MS OCS 2007 / Exchange 2007. This looks like a super sweet setup on paper, but I haven't had much experience with it, so I would appreciate thoughts/comments/suggestions from the more edumicated out there. FYI: Our WAN is a Level3 MPLS backbone with DS3 servicing our DataCenter, and T1 connecting our remote offices, utilizing a 100% Cisco infrustructure with QOS.

1) Redundancy / DR Purposes - Is it possible to place a secondary unit at a remote location as a failover unit should the main unit go down? How redundant/automated could this be -- will the phones automatically switch from the primary to the secondary controller?

2) Office Communication Server 2007 / Exchange 2007 Integration - Any one accomplished this? Thoughts/Comments? I've spec. the Live Business Gateway on the Application Process Card for this. I'm looking to tie presence information, as well as give the users the ability to dial directly from Outlook. I would also utilize this as as a Softphone for a few users. Anyone got inbound faxing to work with Exchange?

3) Duplicate extensions - How does the 3300 handle duplicate extensions? Currently, with the CS-5200 I must configure a hunt group to give a user multiple handsets.

4) Automated Attendant(s) - Since I'm forsaking the Mitel UM server(s) for Exchange 2007, will my exchange handle Automated Attendant (Intertel Application) functions?, or do I at least need a basic VM for this? Most of what I have is mainly STARs, and Overflow apps (we're currently busy - please kiss our butt...we'll be with you shortly smile , and an "On Hold app" described below.

5) "On-Hold App" - Calls to extensions that are in DND are immeadately sent to VM. Calls that are sent to extensions that are busy greet the caller with an option to continue to hold, press 1 to leave a VM, or )0 for the operator. Currently this is accomplished utilizing dedicated System Fowards for each extension, dedicated Call Routing Apps for each extension, along with a seperate single extension hunt group for each extension. (Talk about a pain in the arse). Since Exchange 07 interfaces with the CS-5200 via an analogue trunk, this I can't send callers from a CRA directly to a VM mailbox (the CRA doesn't pass the called extension info through the analogue VM trunk group). Is this going to be the same in the Mitel System since Exchange is utilizing a SIP trunk?

6) Faxing: Currently (on my 5200) DIDs ring to a CRA that does fax detection and send the fax through the Inter-Tel UM server to the users email, or sends the call (default time out) to the appropriate extension. Any comments on how this will work with Exchange 07? What does everyone recommend to interface a POTs fax machine at a remote office over the WAN (SIP adapter)?

7) SIP Trunking - Anyone have any experience, thoughts, suggestions with Bandwith.com? I'm considering replacing my PRI's at each location in favor of a SIP trunking.

I appreciate any insight anyone may provide to these questions.

Thanks!
:db: Matt :db:

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Matt,

I spent 15 minutes last Friday typing a response before the website locked up. I won't go through it again but PM me if you would like to discuss.

My main 2 points. You are trading one type of failure (Network) for another (Hardware/Controller)as far as DR is concerned.

The other is be wary of any trunking across a Public routed internet connection. Sounds like you have built a very robust WAN and you would hate to kill it that way. Otherwise SIP trunks as a technology is very sound these days.

The Mitel is an excellent application, and all the concern you have the Mitel can do easy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,877
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,754 Shoretel
189,833 CTX100 install
187,953 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy), 122 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024