web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Sometime during the night, the T1 card in my companies Mitel 5000 died. We fixed it by swapping the card with a working one from our local vendor who had one in stock because that is how they troubleshoot, buy parts and throw them at the problem until the unit works.

So,our system is working again, but we are getting bizarre interference on all of our digital handsets (our IP phones are working perfectly). It sounds like popping, hissing, etc.

We have changed no programming, just shutdown and swapped a card. Everything at the physical layer is fine, as it has not been changed, and I have verified the integrity of all the connections from the demarc all the way to the DEM-16 on the back of the box.

None of the local guys do Mitel, and the initial installers had been practicing (never done it before) when they got us running. C'est la vie.

Any ideas?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Does the problem exist between two phones ( not useing an outside line x101 to x102) or just when calls are connected to the outside world?

Alex Kroger
Pinnacle Communications Corp
Mitel/Hitachi
Nationwide Hospitality Provider
OP Offline
All calls; if a digital handset is anywhere in the equation, the problem persists. Calls to the outside, calls between two digital, calls between one digital and one IP, etc.

If the calls from phones to trunks were your only problem then the t-1 or t-1 card would be suspect. If you are having the same problems between digital sets and digital to IP then you may have a bad digital card, peripheral control card. if IP to IP works then that would eliminate the controller in my book. I would suggest contacting a qualified Mitel dealer to assist in the trouble shooting

Alex Kroger
Mitel/Hitachi
OP Offline
We only have one Mitel dealer in the area, and they are not... going to help. I have been working with Mitel direct through their Reno office and they are sending us out a new DEM-16, we had arrived at your same conclusion after much troubleshooting.

If the new part doesn't fix it, and nobody on here has any ideas, we will be bringing in out of state help from California.

Please keep us informed, we do like to hear if the problems get resolved

Alex Kroger
Mitel/Hitachi
Potentially you may have had a power surge or some sort of strike that not only took out your T1 module, but damaged the digital module in your controller. Since all audio between IP terminals are handled by the IP terminals themselves, and the calls between IP terminals and the outside world bypasses the DEM but flows throw the T1, via the controller DSP,...it seems you are on the right track by replacing the DEM...unless you have more than 16 digital phones...

Have you tried moving your DEM to one of the other slots on the controller, eliminating a connection problem where it plugs in?

Jim

Jim

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E 5.5 CallPilot 5.0
MITEL 5000 3300 NuPoint

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith"
Albert Einstein
OP Offline
@AKroger: Sorry, I was in Seattle for a few days and couldn't get back at this thread for a bit. We replaced the DEM-16 and now everything works perfect. Thank you for all the help.

@Crowtalks: Yes, we tried swapping bays, no luck. It works after replacing the unit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,729 Shoretel
189,771 CTX100 install
187,933 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 88 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024