Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13267 10/19/06 02:28 AM
bf6b5yr Offline OP
OP Offline
A few months ago I asked some questions about Cisco VOIP versus a standard phone system. The decision had already been made to go with Cisco. I wasn’t a part of the decision. Basically I was an end user.
Someone had asked that I get back to the forum once we cut to the new system. That happened about 3 weeks ago. Below are my thoughts as an end user and as someone with 30 plus years in the telephone business.
Ø Thus far the system seems to meet most of the needs of the business. I can’t speak about the initial or recurring costs since I’m not in that part of the business.
Ø It was different to see someone come in and plug the phone into the data network. No wirework to do, everything was plug and play.
Ø In a previous job I was exposed very briefly to the Call Manager and I had the chance to do some provisioning in a small demo system. My exposure was limited. All I can say is that the terminology used to build extensions, routes, etc. was different from typical telephone terminology. Once you got past that it did not seem that difficult to work in. Again, my exposure was limited.
Ø The actual phones seem functional. I saw and used some Cisco phones about a year and a half ago. The instruments that were installed for our new system were much superior to them. They were comparable to phones on other systems that I have used.
Ø We did experience echo at times on calls in and out of the PSTN. This appears to have been fixed by a software upgrade to the Call Manager. (As I was typing this someone in the office just had an echo problem on an internal call. Maybe there is still a problem.)
Ø You can only forward the line or extension that appears on button one of the phone. This has caused a problem. We’re looking for a “work around”.
Ø My main problem with the whole process was the lack of testing by the vendor and by the division responsible for the phone system. Too much trust was put on the “plug and play”. I wasn’t brought up that way. The instruments were on the desks for a month prior to cutover. They were functional for calls to the PSTN and you could make and receive calls within the system. I did testing on my division’s lines. I uncovered several problems that would have had a major negative impact not just on my division but also on the whole organization. Things like Auto Attendants not being set up. There were problems with the number of incoming calls allowed per extension being incorrect. The same was true with total number of calls allowed per extension. There were extensions that weren’t set up to forward to voice mail. These were things that the people responsible for the job should have been picked up by testing. The end user should not have had to find them by testing.

Gary
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

bf6b5yr, It was very considerate of you to get back to us. :toast:
MrG

Nice update bf6b5yr! :thumb:

Do keep us posted.

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,325
Posts638,978
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,324 Shoretel
190,596 CTX100 install
189,079 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
dexman 3
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, nortelvoip), 102 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024