web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19289 05/22/08 05:05 AM
OP Offline
Not an ESI question, but I know there are some good resources here.

I have a block of about 60 POTS lines that I need to go through to see what is in use. This group has had lots of modems, faxes and other devices in the past, but they have both moved on to better technology and moved the people around the building multiple times.

I don't have a Sidekick, nor do I know how to use one even if I borrowed one. I pretty sure it measures resistance in Ohms accross the pair to detect a short, open, or an instrument on the far end of the pair..

If I were to use my multi-meter to try and do this, do any of the tip and ring guys know what measurement I'm looking for to detect an instrument on the other end of the pair? I'm also pretty sure I measure the pair with the line removed, but I just wanted to verify it.

Thanks in advance

Oderint dum metuant
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#19290 05/22/08 05:13 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
By far, the easiest way to test these lines is to place calls to each number. At least that gives you a clue as to whether or not each one is being used for something. You'll need to allow at least ten ring cycles to be sure since some devices aren't set to answer right away. You have to be careful about alarm lines, elevator phones, etc.

You can use a standard multi-meter to test toward the station end of the wiring on the capacitance scale. Wiring will always cause the needle to kick even with nothing on it, but when there is a ringer load, it kicks more. By reversing the polarity of your leads after testing, you'll get a second chance to measure the kick.

I'm going to move this thread to the "general" category where you're likely to get more attention and replies.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#19291 05/22/08 02:27 PM
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
If you get a DPDT switch from Radio Shack, you can wire it up to provide the polarity reversal without having to swap the leads. As long as you have a high resistance scale (like Rx10Meg), an analog multimeter works OK.

#19292 05/29/08 05:42 AM
OP Offline
how much resistance am I looking at on a pair with an instrument on it vesus an open pair?

Oderint dum metuant
#19293 05/29/08 05:47 AM
Online Content
That would depend on length of pair and if there is a coil or winding on the end of it, like a standard bell.

Retired phone dude
#19294 05/29/08 05:39 PM
RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
I keep a rig like Tommy describes handy just for such issues.

Experiment, get a Single Line phone and look "OUT" at it with the "TOGGLING" Ohmeter. Then, look at a spool of wire.

When you do that a few times, you will get a feel for what is what.

I'd be willing to bet you won't find many modems or fax machines, just empty wire.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
#19295 05/30/08 04:42 PM
You can use this method to determine if there is a station at the end of any line. (or a station anywhere across a line)

Take the meter and go from each side in turn (first the tip, then the ring) to ground. The kick will be the same on each side to ground.

Now measure ACROSS the pair (from tip to ring).

On a line with NO ringer or equivalent termination, the kick across the pair will be LESS than either the tip to ground or the ring to ground measurement.

On a line with a ringer, the kick across the pair will be MORE than either of the sides to ground.

Hope this helps.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#19296 05/31/08 07:36 AM
i suggest you invest in a sidekick, they dont issue them to us guys for nothing. they are the best multi-meter hands down in my opinion. they come with an instruction manual and there is plenty of literature training availible on the web. just google sidekick training. ive seen them on ebay for under 200 dollars.
on the 10k scale with the t&r leads connected across the pair on the station side of the cable pair, kick the pair by using the REV key, the needle should slam to the right, to determine roughly how many sets( worked better in the old days before all the different crap hooked to phone lines)move the dial to the 1k setting and hit the reverse key again, if it kicks 20 points you should have 2 sets, 30 points, 3 sets and so on.

#19297 06/03/08 04:18 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for your help, guys. I'll be working on this project this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oderint dum metuant

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,309
Posts638,904
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,033 Shoretel
190,221 CTX100 install
188,390 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 149 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024