Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20264 09/18/08 02:05 PM
OP Offline
Today I got a trouble call from a customer who has a small office with Samsung phones and a few computers. I wired the office, installed the phone system and computer network, and documented everything, so I know wuzzup.

There are plenty of jacks, typically 4-ways at each location, with one system jack, one RJ-11 for ancillary equipment such as personal answering machines, fax machine, credit card thingie, etc, and two ethernet jacks.

He states that on incoming calls to the main number, the answering machine answers, and he hears a fax machine answer, also. I ask "Have you done any moving of wires, plugged anything in or out recently...added anything?"

He says "No".

He left the door unlocked this evening, so I could have access after hours. I go there and find (1) the original fax machine still plugged into its proper single-line jack. (2) a second fax machine, plugged into a splitter, along with a Prostar phone, and thence into a system jack, and (3) a third fax machine, plugged into a single-line jack energized with the main number (from a previous answering machine hook-up).

I unplugged the two extra fax machines, and locked up the office.

Tomorrow I will ask him what he meant by "No".

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#20265 09/18/08 02:41 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Art, it's short for "don't kNOw nothin'"

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#20266 09/18/08 04:34 PM
That just illustrates why you can never depend on the customer's description of a problem.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#20267 09/18/08 05:02 PM
I think this story rather illustrates why people like you are so valuable. Troubleshooting is an art that cannot be taught. Like a really good mechanic or someone who draws well, sharing techniques and experiences goes only so far. The intuiive ability to "baseline" a problem by studying a backboard or by a minute's worth of experimentation can only be duplicated by those born with similar God-given abilities.

I don't think the customer was attempting to deceive you. My thoughts are that the customer simply didn't make the connection between cause and effect. This kind of thinking comes easily for you and I, which is why you are confused by his answer. Don't be. You're smart in this area and that is the end of the story. Stay humble, but make sure that you are compensated for this skill.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#20268 09/18/08 05:52 PM
KLD Offline
Tim, well said.

Our educators are taught to teach, not think. I had a school district asst. superintendent with fax trouble tell me Embarq found no problem. I checked, the alarm was on the fax line. Was the alarm on? She asks the High School Honcho. He says "NO". Yep, your correct, it was on, in alarm, and the fax didn't work. Gee, you think?

How to fix? Two options...fix the alarm or get another line for the alarm and leave the fax alone. They wanted a new fax number? Why? Everything has the old number on it. Logic and thinking are not always for the highly educated.

laugh

Ken
---------
#20269 09/19/08 02:12 AM
OP Offline
The trouble-shooting went like this:

Check original fax machine to see if it had the proper number on it. (Yes.)

Check main number on system phone and answering machine. (Verified correct number)

Do a quick "ear" test for metallic cross between fax line and main line. Dial 1004 Hz on fax line, pick up main line, dial silent battery, listen for cross. (No cross-talk or other noises.)

Test fax machine. (Works fine, both send and receive.) No other symptoms. But now we need to find where the fax machine is that is causing the problem.

Open main number at NID, and dial into main number. (No answering machine, and no fax machine answering.) This proves that the unknown fax machine that is answering is not doing so at some point along the pair before the NID. I had wondered if someone at another building had installed a fax machine or an alarm panel on a bridged cable pair with a left-in drop. It would have been a long-shot coincidence, but weirder things have been known to happen. It also proves that the offending machine is somewhere on the premises.

Put NID back to normal, and make a second test call, just to eliminate evil spirits, mental illness, repairman confusion, etc. (Same results: answering and fax machines both answer.)

Do a physical inspection of premises. (Found second fax machine plugged, via a splitter, into an EKTS jack.) This is confusing, because at the same time that I think "Aha!" I also tell myself that a fax machine plugged in this way could never ring up. On a Panasonic and some other systems, the W/Bl pair has dial tone, but not on a Samsung system jack. False alarm...but why is this second fax machine here? Must ask customer in AM.

Then I find a THIRD fax machine. ARGHHH!!! Is this all a bad dream, or an episode of Candid Camera? Why a THIRD fax machine? I check its cord for dial tone, and identify it. (It's line #1, the one in trouble.) A second "aha!" and this time, I can clear the trouble. Now, I need to ask customer why he has TWO extra fax machines.

I suspect that three people all want to be able to fax from their desks. The machines are combination scanner/copier/fax/printer. But this office is not huge -- about 800 square feet -- so getting up and walking over to THE fax machine is not a big deal.

My helper, a young genious with limited telephone experience, but endowed with a great analytical mind, suggests that they just plugged in cords due to the Sir Edmund Hillary syndrome: "because they were there." They might not even have needed fax capability at those two desks, but they saw the jacks, and assumed that to make a photocopier or printer work, they needed a dial tone.

The interesting thing about the symptom: Both the fax and the answering machine were set, by default, to answer on the fourth ring. If either had not been, an even weirder situation would have presented itself.

Dagwood, I appreciate and am humbled by your kind words about my trouble-clearing skills, but what makes this so frustrating is that I did not really clear a "trouble" but rather just undid some plug-confusion. These folks are my neighbors (literally) and good friends of my family. It is a small town. I often wonder if I should charge anything for doing these things, because the customer just inflicted this on themselves, and to charge them for something so trivial as unplugging a fax machine seems a bit mercenary.

Arthur P. Bloom

#20270 09/21/08 12:20 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Arthur,
"It is a small town."
There's your problem, "Inbreeding". No, just kidding, but I HAD to say it. smile
Actually, I'd almost bet money that your assistant is correct. At least partially. Your contact quite possibly had no idea that this other stuff was plugged in. And God help you if any of those 4-in-1's don't work Monday. It'll be your fault, even though they haven't worked since the day they came out of the box! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20271 09/21/08 12:52 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Arthur -

Textbook troubleshooting. Perfect.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#20272 09/21/08 01:03 PM
I normally don't put any extra jacks on a fax line, just the one by the fax, sometimes a CC terminal. Matter of fact unless a jack has it's intended device present while I'm there it doesn't get connected to anything. When something gets moved the old jack gets disconnected.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#20273 09/21/08 02:12 PM
OP Offline
Hal. I agree. This office has two separate wiring "systems". The original quad wire with RJ11's and the new 4-pairs that I ran. I needed to keep the old stuff energized during the transition to the new system, and at several desks, there were single-line answering machines. The office has three different business entities working out of it, so three answering machines was a normal situation.

I got tricked because they unplugged one machine, moving it to another corner of the office, leaving a live jack, and that's the one they plugged one of their legion of new fax machines into.

I had an "open and frank exchange of views" with them on Saturday, and admonished them to call me when they next feel the urge to play telephone man. The boss treated me to lunch. Case closed.

Arthur P. Bloom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,675 Shoretel
189,644 CTX100 install
187,867 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (PhoneGuy827, justbill, Toner), 118 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024