web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
Just want to know where you all started to gain experience in configuring today's PBX's. I lack the configuration experience or even installing PBXs over that of other network devices.

I was thinking of training in Panasonic and Nortel.

If training dollars are needed in my case what can I expect to pay and is there a shortage or abundance of techs with this experience in Vancouver bc?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Nothing beats hands on experience especially with someone who already knows the system. Training is good but by itself isn't going to give you the knowledge to go out and be proficient.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I always felt it was better if you worked on the PBX first -with a Senior partner to show you the ropes. And then - when you had some experience - then go to training class.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I would say FIRST get a grip on color code and real stuff that you will need every time you work on a PBX. T1's, E&M circuits, Loop start and Ground start Trunks..etc. Learn to use a voltage meter. Couple that with real world experience with pulling structured cable, terminating it etc.. BTW this in itself will put you light years ahead of the IT guy.

You will need some networking experience in this day and age and gerneral networking concepts both voice AND data at this point.

Large PBX systems are very structured..or should be. A class in logic, in a local Comminity College, IMHO will help you in MANY ways.

After all this, work on an in house system and learn the hardware cold. Do some basic programming from the ground up by actually putting a system together. Going to a school for PBX training is really the way to go. My first I&M at Tadiran was 3 weeks of intensive training and quite frankly 3 guys failed the class. One guy got booted from simply not understanding how an E&M circuit was wired or the concept thereof.

Nothing beats real world experience though.

Taking a class and getting certified on a particular system is a good start. Those types of classes will give you the basics of that system. But there's no substitute for actually installing one from the ground up. Troubleshooting is the best training of all. I believe that's where you learn the most, when you're sweating bullets on a job site from somethings gone terribly wrong. As odd as that sounds, you will come away from it having learned a lot.

St Petersburg
-If you're thinking about pursuing the Nortel Meridians, I personally would NEVER recommend any of those Meridian options to any technician as a first system to be exposed to. They require a very complex understanding and LOTS of experience!!

-As you begin to come in personal contact with experienced PBX installers, technicians, administrators, etc, always remember this: Any information that is shared with you from someone's direct experience is GOLD. Take good notes, and be a very open-minded, attentive, and focused "listener".

-Since the different manufacturers each have their own unique language/terminology/operating styles/etc for their PBXs, I'd recommend first learning and understanding basic concepts, standards, and features shared by all PBXs (different types of lines and trunks like Coral Tech mentioned, Direct Inward and Outward Dialing, the different standard & custom call features, types of call groups, RS/RJ/EIA connections & wiring standards, etc).

Wen I worked at Pac.Tel. my boss sent me to a number of telco schools and he saqid "the only thing school does is keep you from being afrid to open the doors" its all in hands on work.

what i did when i started was bought a cics and installed it in my house and a avaya partner and installed it in my office then I was able to practice on the systems that i was installing

surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advice. Right now I have worked with asterisk, polycom phones and the varios FXO/FXS cards. Been running my system and tweeking it here or there over the years. Was not comfortable few years ago selling the system as it was a little unstable. I will buy a embeded system and test for a while then consider it as a option to customer that do not have a big enough budget to buy one of the better known brands.

I know my 25 pair color code, 4 pair, 568A/B and done my share of T1 extentions ect. There is more to learn of course but learning the PBX cold though configuration and troubelshooting like that of the Cisco CLI is a good way to start.

Just have to find the right company to get started with. I have also though of going out and doing simple add/move/changes of existing lines which I have done and network sales.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,407 Shoretel
189,167 CTX100 install
187,427 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 143 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024