Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213762 07/16/08 09:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have a customer who has a STS with a hard drive voicemail and a co expansion card, their system resets about once a day, system is on a BBU, phones may or may not be in use. Customer has 6 phones. Any Ideas? system is 2 1/2 years old.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
My first guess would be a dead battery in the UPS. Customer gets power surge, UPS cuts to battery power, system dies.

I would check the BBU as Larry said. Also check the alarm log file and see if there is any info in there that might help. If you can get a copy of the alarm log file one of us hear may be able to see what might be going on. If you need help getting the alarm log file let us know. It will show when it exactly resets and it may show that maybe a card went out of service before or something along those lines to see if may be a card that is effecting it.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Bad BBU is my guess as well.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
BBU is working customer has had system lock up and has had to pull power to restart system.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
While most systems will function with a failed memory retention battery, the STS, STSe, Mach 1 and Triad-S systems all seem to misbehave like this when the memory battery starts to fail.

Perhaps this is a good thing rather than a complete loss of the database.

I'm surprised that a memory battery would fail on a relatively new system, but I've heard from other folks that this has happened on the STS product line. I've never seen it myself, but I've seen it dozens of times on Mach 1's. Unfortunately, it's not an easy field replacement.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed, Bingo(wish i would of thought of that yesterday) just had one (STS) that is 3 years old failed because of the battery! I took a refurb cabinet up (one that i had repaired for the same issue) and swapped all cards and i powered it on and boom it did the same thing! DAMN AZTEC!! Thanks goodness i had another one back at the shop and wasn't to far away!

The problems are wierd that come up with the issue. First one I had seen do this I powered the system down and started pulling cards 1 at a time thinking it was a failed card and after i pulled one of the LCOB it booted fine so i replaced the card and next day i got a call.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
If the sts memory battery were dead pulling the power would not reset the system. It would put it in the dreaded can't boot, sit and do nothing mode (depending on where switch 8 is set). You might try reseating the CID modules on the motherboard and the LCOBS. They can cause this problem to happen.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
A year ago, i had a STS doing the same thing.
System just does a reset on its own.

It had Ver. 1.01 or whatever the lowest version
of software in the STS.

Tech support said to upgrade software.

I just replaced ksu to a STSE.
Yes it took care of problem, but if a guy wanted to fool with it, I'm wondering if reint.might of cured the problem?

Could it of just been corrupt data?

You never know, as sometimes it just a trial and error thing.

Good luck on your problem.

-TJ-

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,314
Posts638,921
Members49,775
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,090 Shoretel
190,300 CTX100 install
188,567 1a2 system
Newest Members
PeterG, lyte, 4thright, dcl, Mansour
49,774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dans 4
jsaad 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 181 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024