web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223063 04/01/06 03:00 AM
OP Offline
I have a customer with a mics and valcom paging. We didn't wire the place or install the system. just inherited the mess. The facility makes the paper trays that apples are packed in. They have fires all the time and need the paging to work all the time. It is a major safety issue. We go in once a year and do an audit, replace speakers and add were they feel we need to. The sound quality derades over that year period qquite a bit. We test the voltage listen to quality at each speaker. They have asked me about a wireless solutions, as replacing melted cable is expensive. Is there any such animal? Its good money, but I don't want to see someone get hurt because they didn't hear the page. The ienvironment is very harsh. Lots of heat, water and steam. Also very loud. Any good solutions or ideas. We have been told that to put everything in conduit is not an option because of the price. The building is as big as 7 football fields.

thanks
emmitt2727

Shawn
Connect Telecom www.connecttelecom.us
In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#223064 04/01/06 03:55 AM
KLD Offline
Similar to a paper mill ---- did a lot of those a few years ago. Flash fires, high heat, caustic atmosphere, high noise levels, and everyone is wearing hearing protection.

Response was to go high into the structure, run conduit with drops to horns, multiple power supplies, and STROBE LIGHTS!

Any major paging supplier , or, security/fire alarm supplier should be able to assist you with a solution.

My 2 cents

KLD wink

Ken
---------
#223065 04/01/06 08:54 AM
Admin
Admin
Being from the sound business I'd do things a little different. A place of that size I would use a pair of regulated voltage amps (25v) with multiple line runs out to transformed horns (Atlas AP-15T). If redundancy is needed you could use dual transformers.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#223066 04/02/06 05:47 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
There is no secret here. Facilities such as yours need the high power application. Also, proper zoning both for power and audio, something that's often overlooked. Redundancy is the key! If the facilities primary fire alarm audible is not sufficent you can enhance paging with such devices. However, such devices may not be code(local) compliant. Installation of high-temp cable and/or conduit in certain "high risk areas" may be required. For heat/fire to damage facility infrastructure then a sprinkler system is not working properly! Also, any damaged equipment is covered under insurance! Your customer has a multi-million dollar operation here and cable replacement is too expensive?? Your concern for personnel harm bothers me. If local codes allow the paging system to be the primary means of emergency notification then you should seek legal advise. State and local codes are very specific in this regard.

#223067 04/03/06 02:57 AM
OP Offline
jwooten,

The paging is not the only means for emergency notification. They have fire alarms that work very well. And little scanners that pick up hot spots in the trays after they are cooked. This is how they approached me with their concerns. I would love to have everything in conduit. I was just looking for some suggestion or different things to consider, possibly something more bullit-proof which these boards are great for. thanks for the help.
emmitt2727
Shawn

Shawn
Connect Telecom www.connecttelecom.us
In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,642 Shoretel
189,525 CTX100 install
187,782 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 179 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024